Everything Severum

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
I could be wrong, and every fish is different, but I think the white on the underside you were talking about is something that comes with age.

ragin_cajun

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
South Louisiana
I see lotsa plants in these pics. I thought Sev's eat all plants voraciously?

Reactions: Buphy

Woefulrelic

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2013
NJ
They'll eat the the easier ones, love lettuce and the likes. I see mine pick at and eat smaller anubias leaves occasionally. I wouldn't trust them with anything you care about too much, but if its more difficult for them to eat then pellets they will make a simple choice.

neutrino

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2013
Mid-Atlantic, US
Interesting to hear this as I haven't heard anyone refer to their breeding behavior as super aggressive. I am planning on a breeding pair for my office tank but they would be the only inhabitants.
Depends a lot on the individuals and ime tank size is a factor. I've had several breeding pairs, none of which were especially aggressive toward other tankmates. Protective of their spawning site, eggs, or fry, sure, but no real harm to the other fish.

Tank size makes a difference with sevs ime. I've seen several examples of them being nasty in smaller tanks where they feel crowded. In fact, I bought a wild rotkeil once that killed off anything they tried to put in the same tank (20 gal). Was a perfect citizen for me in the various 4-6 ft tanks I kept it in over the years I had him.

Not to say you can't get a mean one or a more aggressive pair or that someone else can't have a different experience, but it's not a rule that you can't keep pairs with other fish, at least in a large enough tank.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
I see lotsa plants in these pics. I thought Sev's eat all plants voraciously?
They don't bother my anubias to much or my short amazon. They takes bites out of new growth so all my new lives have one or two holes in them. They have shredded everything else I have put in there.

Snowflake311

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Lake Tahoe, ca
My old Severum Nip I really loved this fish. I lost him last year at 6 almost 7 years old. I blame my nasty uaru for his early death. Here is Nip about 4 months before he died.

Here is my newest little rescue I got him when he was about the size of a dime. I did not know then that he had a deformed gill not till I got home did I see it. He was so small. This is an older photo he is 4" now and a really good fish.

MonsterFishCreeper

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2015
Md
Shamelessly reviving this old thread of mine from last year. Anyone have any new severum they want to show off? It took me a while to get a few more tanks going but I finally have 2 sevs of my own which have been to shy the last few days to get pics. Once they settle in I'll snag a few shots. I'm going to try for another week or so to find some rotkeils or super reds locally then I'm going to break down and order some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store