Extinct Tasmanian tiger could roar back into life after DNA is implanted into a mouse

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
sammy5772;2727620; said:
Ive heard about this before. It is also being cosidered to try and bring the mammoth back using African Elephants but tha5t wouldnt really be such a good idea if the went extinct mosly naturally.

What I want brought back is the Haast Eagle. Largest eagle to ever exist but it and many other bird specis became extinct because the Maori released the pacific rat here when they got here ~1000AD. Moas aswell except nthe Maori hunted them too (even the giant ones a lot taller thaa person). But because NZs native animal population is mostly birds they had no defence against rats and the like. Haast eagle though... HUGE bird. Killed and flew off with Maori people and All types of Moa. NZ would be a lot different today if it was still around, farming would be a lot harder for sure, would be carrying off sheep!
Wow, that thing would be awesome! I remember playing an internet game once where you're a giant eagle trying to protect its nest from people and the police and such.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
micstarz;2723904; said:
Oh and anyway, if you manage to "make" one tasmanian tiger, how will they breed and become populous again? If you made two tasmanian tigers with the same gene, and they were of different sex, it would be the same gene reproducing with itself. Those of you that breed guppies know that if incest happens you get deformities...

You'd need like, hundreds of preserved genes from different animals in order to bring a healthy population back to life.

Or just keep making one animal at a time with the same gene.

Just being creative here. But if tasmanian tigers came back to life and the whole population didn't have diverse enough gene variations, they'd all have weaker immune systems etc. Then if one of them gets a virus and it mutates and it also affects humans, it'd become like in I Am Legend...
:screwy:
I hardly see what that has to do with us being Homo sapiens. We are just another animal. How can we consider ourselves mammals, and yet not animals? We are animals.

But you do bring up a good point. This won't work unless they have thousands of different sets of DNA, which I doubt, and like I said before, if they're just going to bring back one for our amusement, then that's just wrong.

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
Juxtaroberto;2727782; said:
Po-tay-to, po-tah-to. :)
Haha, well whether you count the subspecies or not, you forgot your "s" ;)

SOKO

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2009
NYC
As long as scientists don't start bringin back dinosaurs, it's pretty cool

Lupin

Viviendo la vida loca!
MFK Member
Guys, might I remind you not to divert this topic to religious debates which is a banned topic due to its nature. Discuss whatever you want about genetics, extinction and everything in biology but do not put this thread to the edge of the abyss by shoving religious debates into it. Thanks.

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Never had a Latin class. My school sucks.

Also, like that other guy said, what is that rat gonna look like? Imagine it gets loose... :nilly:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store