Pufferpunk;4478451; said:
Discus breeders do 100-200% WC daily.
200% ???????? how does that work????:confused:

vitaly

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2010
www.youtube.com
discuss will probably get eaten by rays when they get bigger or die from stress because rays are active 24hours/day and will probably harrass them at night

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I have discus with mine, and i cant see any strange behavior on my discus so far. I know about many people that goes for this combo. But as you said, when the rays get big enough, discus is a fine meel. And as a buddy of mine said, "how come they always take the nicest once first" :p hehe.. Silver arrow with rays and geophaguses?

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
lungfishlover;4479393; said:
200% ???????? how does that work????:confused:
Auto water changer, constantly removing water from one side of the tank while adding fresh water into the other side.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Pufferpunk;4478451; said:
Discus breeders do 100-200% WC daily.
I imagine this is in an unfiltered tank or system.

People use drips on here and I get that but it is actually dilution as opposed to a true water change.

If your ph is not reducing and nitrate is under control then I do not see the need to change more water than that. .I.e decent 40% once per week with nitrate free water.

Rays certainly do not need 90% changes and I would venture that if you are needing to do that much then something is Not right with the system.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
I imagine this is in an unfiltered tank or system.
I run 2 AC 110s & a large Eheim on my 90g discus tank.
Rays certainly do not need 90% changes
I was referring to keeping discus.
decent 40% once per week with nitrate free water.
I do not see how you could possibly keep nitrate free water with only 40% weekly partials. Especially with high waste-producing fish like rays or other large species, unless housed in massive systems.
People use drips on here and I get that but it is actually dilution as opposed to a true water change.
As per my sig, WC is dillution!

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
Pufferpunk;4479963; said:
I run 2 AC 110s & a large Eheim on my 90g discus tank.

I was referring to keeping discus.

I do not see how you could possibly keep nitrate free water with only 40% weekly partials. Especially with high waste-producing fish like rays or other large species, unless housed in massive systems.

As per my sig, WC is dillution!
You have mis read my post

Water changes WITH nitrate free water I.e the water going in does not have nitrate in the new water. I agree that the tank will not be nitrate free.

You are correct that wc is dilution but very different to constant drip.one is a sudden and large change, the other is a slow dilution.

I know you were referring to keeping discuss but this is a Ray forum and I was referring to rays not needing 90% (discuss do not need it either though, there is no scientific reason to change that much, if you can keep dissolved solids low then why change so much.)

My nitrates stay below 40-50ppm based on less than 40% weekly changes and I feed twice per day.

I think ac10 is a hang on the back which to me is a poor way of filtering water and certainly not up to rays...discus maybe...an eheim would be a good back up to a sump but one would not be up to rays either...you might even need over 50% water changes with that setup!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store