Feeding fire eel pellets

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
Is this even feasible? My fire eel has exclusively been eating bloodworms for its entire life, but i realize that this is a horrible way to feed a fish, and I'm attempting to get it on pellets. Is this feasible? I understand that it would be much more likely to accept live food like ghost shrimp, but pellets would be much much much more convenient for me if it were possible.

Reactions: tlindsey

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
It’s difficult, but I’ve accomplished it with wet massivore pellets. Here’s a link to the thread where I went into great detail on my process.

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
It’s difficult, but I’ve accomplished it with wet massivore pellets. Here’s a link to the thread where I went into great detail on my process.
Other than pellets, what meaty foods would you recommend I feed my fire eel? I understand worms are popular but i'm not sure how to keep worms alive, and my fire eel is also utterly tiny, around 6" and am uncertain if it would even be able to eat a cut worm.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Other than pellets, what meaty foods would you recommend I feed my fire eel? I understand worms are popular but i'm not sure how to keep worms alive, and my fire eel is also utterly tiny, around 6" and am uncertain if it would even be able to eat a cut worm.
You could call a bait shop and ask if they sell Red Wigglers smaller earthworm.

Reactions: latapy10 and Rob909

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
You can cut up worms to get them small enough to be eaten by a small fire eel. I get them from bait shops or petco and Walmart. Keep them in the fridge and they last as long as it takes the eel to eat them.
You can also use shrimp, clams, or small crayfish.
Others may chime in with what meaty foods they use, but this is what I’ve fed mine.

samtoney45

Exodon
MFK Member
Nov 5, 2021
You can cut up worms to get them small enough to be eaten by a small fire eel. I get them from bait shops or petco and Walmart. Keep them in the fridge and they last as long as it takes the eel to eat them.
You can also use shrimp, clams, or small crayfish.
Others may chime in with what meaty foods they use, but this is what I’ve fed mine.
Alright, I fed some frozen mysis shrimp today. Did not see them eat, but came back later and saw that a lot of the mysis shrimp was gone. I suppose i'll just keep feeding them at night.

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
My tyre track eel is almost 2ft and pretty much eats exclusively mussel meat, either pieces or whole. The tank is fed on pellets and flake too but I have never seen him eat either. Also feed cut up white fish fillet but he prefers the mussel and pretty much ignores the fish.

Reactions: latapy10
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store