Feeding fire eel pellets

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
pretty much eats exclusively mussel meat
Does your eel accept vitamin-fortified mussels? I ask because the thiaminase mussels have could cause problems if he doesn't.

Reactions: Fishman Dave

Fishman Dave

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2015
West Yorkshire
Does your eel accept vitamin-fortified mussels? I ask because the thiaminase mussels have could cause problems if he doesn't.
I don’t use vitamin fortification.
However, I feed cooked mussels for human consumption so (in theory at least) the thiaminase level should be significantly reduced (through cooking) albeit I am aware that mussels in general are not a balanced diet. Generally musselmeat forms around 25% of the diet of all my fish although there are some fish, like the tyre track eel who seem to make it a much higher percentage of their diet ( the botia included). To date I have seen no specific problems although I guess it’s hard to tell if a fish dies after 10 years , is it related to diet or thiaminase specifically? The tyre track eel is around four years I would estimate and 24”, not thin, seems healthy, but some might say should be longer? BUT, he might also be eating flake, pellets and whitefish without me knowing, it’s just that he is always waiting for his mussels to be dropped in.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
One of my fire eels is more adventurous at trying different protein offerings than the other one who just eats earthworms at this point which is just a huge headache now its at this point when its 5 bucks per feeding of worms for both of them for a feeding session- i sneak in pellets:sticks in the shrimps for one of them that will eat it but no luck a year later in getting it to eat pellets alone yet

Reactions: Fishman Dave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store