few things I'd like to know as a beginner at silver arowana keeping?

avzb

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2015
south africa
A silver aro will get to 3 foot long thus your tank can only be considered as temporary accommodation, and you'll have to upgrade fairly soon. Yes, you can add add driftwood and plants, a few floating plants may give the aro some cover and a sense of security. Leave the top of the water free for swimming. Loaches, catfish are all good tank mates, if they can fit in the aro's mouth they may become snacks. Silvers grow fast, 2 - 4cm per month, so potential tank mates will have to keep up with that growth rate.
So I added some silk plants I'm gonna test it and see what happen.

Steven Williams

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2015
So I basically have to just to wait ,ok so what about tank mates ?
It depends on the temper of ur aro if he's aggressive later on or not like mine is a wuss it's 7 months and still gets spooked sometime and hides in the corner. This is alright if they hang around in the corner for a bit once they become comfortable they will continue to swim so just sit back and wait(try not to move too much) as for tankmates bottom dwellers work well as long as ur aro is fed it will be fine and so will it's tankmates so try to give him plenty of tank mates when he's little so it's more passive to being in a tank with other fish. I don't recommend this but my foot long aro is with 5 baby and juvenile Angels and their fine but mine is different it's really passive and had a rough past but as I was saying arowanas are skittish fish so it's fine if their scared as long as they don't smash into anything and injure themselves. Also try to not turn on or off lights too fast that startles all fish and also yoyo loaches are epic and if you want more loaches with ur aro when it's bigger try clowns they are much bigger and won't fit in its mouth when they are adults

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
1 month isn't enough time for him to adjust. If you that him well and interact with him a lot in the year it should be 100% used to you, if not sooner. Of course this all depends on its personal temperament, may always be scared, probably not though. On the bright side, if he's a bit timid he won't eat your tank mates lol. My old black aro couldn't stand it if you looked at him head on, he would only ever look at me sideways. He was real used to me and when I tried he would tilt his head one way, so I followed him that way and he would keep shaking his head around everytime I did that but never actually got scared or nervous or anything like that. Was funny to mess with him. You'll be fine bro, but upgrade soon plz.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store