Filtration

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
The water out of the overflow should go, first, through the skimmer. Once the water has gone though the skimmer, it will flow into your return pump. Connect the "out" from your return pump and then connect it to the "in" of the sterilizer. Then, the "out" of the sterilizer will re-connect with your return line and then back into the tank. That way, it's going through your skimmer to remove the excess proteins and then through the sterilizer to kill and baddies.

Hope that makes sense! :)

Mysticshadows3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
www.myspace.com
EastBay;4340851; said:
The water out of the overflow should go, first, through the skimmer. Once the water has gone though the skimmer, it will flow into your return pump. Connect the "out" from your return pump and then connect it to the "in" of the sterilizer. Then, the "out" of the sterilizer will re-connect with your return line and then back into the tank. That way, it's going through your skimmer to remove the excess proteins and then through the sterilizer to kill and baddies.

Hope that makes sense! :)
Yes it does...thanks!

Mysticshadows3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
www.myspace.com
Are there any HUGE benefits in designing a sump like this with the live rock and bubble trap???? If not...I am just going to have the skimmer in there without any separate areas....and not waste my time and money.
Let me know : )

Sump.png

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
So, according to the drawing, the water drains into the live rock and then into the skimmer?

I would go ahead and build the baffles. It will definitely limit microbubbles from returning to the tank. Plus the tumbling water into the different sections will add oxygen to the water as well.

Alao, you can turn the middle section into a refugium if you wanted, you can add macroalgaes, etc. You can also put your heater in that section as well.

It can't hurt to add the baffle pieces now, but will be a PITA if you wanted to add them later.

STXman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2010
lake forest,ca
EastBay;4332364; said:
Heck no! Really no such thing as "too big" in the world of saltwater! :)

In fact, both the skimmer and sterilizer probably do less than what they indicate. Most manufacturers fudge the number of gallons their products treat. Most marine experts will tell you to upgrade to the larger model, just to be safe.

You'll be fine with what you have.
:iagree:

Mysticshadows3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
www.myspace.com
EastBay;4341118; said:
So, according to the drawing, the water drains into the live rock and then into the skimmer?

I would go ahead and build the baffles. It will definitely limit microbubbles from returning to the tank. Plus the tumbling water into the different sections will add oxygen to the water as well.

Alao, you can turn the middle section into a refugium if you wanted, you can add macroalgaes, etc. You can also put your heater in that section as well.

It can't hurt to add the baffle pieces now, but will be a PITA if you wanted to add them later.
Yes, the water will enter in where the live rock is.

You say I can turn the middle section into a refugium? In the same section as the protein skimmer or should i divide the middle part and put the refugium in before or after the skimmer?

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
I actually put my skimmer in the first section and then put the live rock in the bigger, middle section. Depending on you skimmer, you could still put some live rock -- or any other kind of mechanical filtration -- in that first section, if you wanted to filter out some of the bigger waste. But I just had my overflow hose dump into the first part and skimmed that.

I know some people use that middle portion as a refugium -- growing macroalgaes, copepods and amphipods -- basically making it another aquarium to use as a grow out section, to put problem livestock or to put livestock that might otherwise be eaten by the main display livestock. I've heard of people keeping crabs, shrimp, deep sand beds, etc. in a refugium.

Granted, you'd have to put some lighting on it if you wanted to "grow" things in the refugium.

Or, you can do nothing with that middle part. If nothing else, a sump adds to the overall amount of water you can hold, which makes it easier to maintain water parameters and whatnot.

Mysticshadows3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 24, 2008
Lansing, Michigan
www.myspace.com
EastBay;4341889; said:
I actually put my skimmer in the first section and then put the live rock in the bigger, middle section. Depending on you skimmer, you could still put some live rock -- or any other kind of mechanical filtration -- in that first section, if you wanted to filter out some of the bigger waste. But I just had my overflow hose dump into the first part and skimmed that.

I know some people use that middle portion as a refugium -- growing macroalgaes, copepods and amphipods -- basically making it another aquarium to use as a grow out section, to put problem livestock or to put livestock that might otherwise be eaten by the main display livestock. I've heard of people keeping crabs, shrimp, deep sand beds, etc. in a refugium.

Granted, you'd have to put some lighting on it if you wanted to "grow" things in the refugium.

Or, you can do nothing with that middle part. If nothing else, a sump adds to the overall amount of water you can hold, which makes it easier to maintain water parameters and whatnot.
How does this look?? Any Suggestions???
I have a big enough tank to have a huge refugium....what do you put in it? Benefits?

Sump.png

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store