Final Tank Setup

Friller2009

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2021
Australia
Interesting - I remember seeing the same from you before - I just use “Aussie rainbow” as that’s what it was sold as, and what most people over here have come to recognize them as. Would you consider this as one of the hybrids:
View attachment 1531040
Closest I can find is M. splednida

Come to think of it, I don’t think I’ve ever stopped and googled “Australian rainbowfish”to see how variable that name really is.
[/QUOTE]
Looks like a deep creek splendida but who knows what it is. The red spot on the cheek makes me think there's some Duboulayi in it
Male front, female back.
1701901667296.png

I highly recommend you check out the late Gunther Schimda's pictures. One of if not the greatest freshwater fish photographer to ever live. Had the pleasure of meeting him a couple years before he died. He's written a couple e books but i'm not sure if they're still available. His books might be available to purchase but some of them are $$$

All the species of Rainbows, Blue eyes and Rhads : https://rainbowfish.angfaqld.org.au/Melano.htm

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I have some new news. I've decided not to go to the expo. I have college finals coming up and many different assignments for high school that are coming up. I felt it was too much of a distraction. I will later deal with my tank decor and more fish. :)

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Ok, I have some new new news lol. I did a lot this weekend, so I went to the expo. Yes, I got a new fish.

This time, it was a single Discus. I know y'all will probably fuss about my decision, but he is perfectly fine for my tank. Yes, I did research about parameters and other important info. I will probably do a few minor edits, like take out my bristle nose (which doesn't do its job *sigh*) and possibly my smallest acara to give some more space to the beauty.

He is, I would say, around 7-8 inches; he's about the size of an IHOP pancake, so he's pretty big, but he's very thin, like an angelfish. I checked to see if he could turn around comfortably, and he had plenty of space to turn around, so he fits happily. He was in a 75-gallon tank with 6-7 other discus and many plecos.

I may eventually get two more discus, but that's a big maybe. I really don't want to rearrange my entire stock again, so I will probably pass on that.

I will post pictures soon!

Reactions: Caveden

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Also, quick question: if I were to edit the tank as I mentioned above, could I have two more discus instead of the fish I said before? This is what the setup would look like:

3 Discus, 1 EBA, 4 Brochis Cories, 7 Buenos Aires Tetras, and 1 Striped Raphael Catfish. In total, 16 fish.

Would this be too much? I don't want to have an overstocked tank. I'm not parting with my Corys, raph, or 1 EBA. I can pass on more Discus if it is overstocked.

I just feel like since my discus is so huge, it looks awkward since it is the only one, so if I get two smaller ones, it would even it out a bit.

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
So, I've been working on my tank, and it's almost done. After a few more edits, I will be finished the stocking and decor. As of right now, this is my stocking:

4 Discus, 11 Neon Tetras, 4 Brochis Corys, and 2 Striped Raphael Catfish (yes I got a friend for my original raph).

Yes I know it's heavily stocked, I will most likely get rid of the Brochis corys (my mom hates how they look anyways lol). I hope my mom will let me get a larger tank late next year (like a 75); it may happen since she is very attached to the Discus.

As for decor, once my newest piece of driftwood (the piece I got at the expo) gets waterlogged, I plan on removing the lava rocks that are weighing it down in favor of medium-large smooth gray pebbles. After I get the hardscape settled, I plan on replacing all (preferably only a few, but probably all) the fake plants and replacing them with various species of Anubias since I've had luck with them. I may also do moss; I'm not sure about that yet. My newest piece of driftwood has a really long bare section that is screaming for some sort of plant. I also may do duckweed or some sort of floating plant.

I will post pictures of my setup soon :)

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Hey y'all! As I've mentioned, I have a Discus tank right now, and it's been going along great! I haven't had the time to post an update, so here it is. I am almost satisfied with the stocking and almost satisfied with the decor.

My mom has been really liking discus, so we have four discus right now. However, two are staying in the main tank, and two are going (after they are healed; details in the recent sick thread I posted). Sorry if that's confusing, to clear it up, here is my current stocking list:

2 Discus, 8 tetras (I had 11, but they keep dying...not sure what's up with that :screwy:), 2 Striped Raphael Catfish, 1 Dwarf Gourami, 1 Wrestling Halfbeak, and 1 Vampire Shrimp. In total, 15 fish. I may take away the halfbeak or get a few more to make a little school, but I'm not 100% sure what I'm going to do about that yet. My mom really likes blue, so I intend to get either some Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis or some Electric Blue Rams.

I still have fake plants, pothos (mentioned in the thread about selling pothos), driftwood, and rocks.
Well, that's all I have for right now. Cheers to the new year and more fishkeeping! :woot::cool-1::cheers:

P.S. I will add some pictures sometime soon...maybe this evening, maybe later.

Reactions: Caveden

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
Here are the pictures I said I would give y'all:

The first picture is of both my raphs. The second picture is my orange discus close-up. The third picture is my big raph (you can tell I love my raphs, lol), and the fourth picture is the fish feeding on mysis shrimp (no, the tank is not dirty. It just looks it).

Raphs 2024.jpg

Discus Close Up 2024.jpg

Big Raph 2024.jpg

Feeding Discus 2024.jpg

SilverArowanaBoi

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2023
Houston, Texas
I will post some more pictures sometime soon. There is still a few fish I haven't gotten pics of yet...

Reactions: AR1

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store