Finally got my Dream Giant Gourami!!!

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
After 10 years of waiting, I finally have my dream fish in my new 400! I drove a total of 5 hrs. in the pouring rain to go and get him, but it was worth every single second. He was housed in a 60 gallon bowfront bc he was quote "too aggressive ". I wanted to shove the individual who sold him to me into that little tank and then ask him how he liked it. Oh well what's done is done. He now gets to spend the rest of his life as the king of my 400! I know the general care of these guys and have researched them to no end, but is there anything I should particularly know (favorite food, never feed..., worst tank mates, etc.)? Thanks for looking and God Bless!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Thanks! I actually think the previous owner did a pretty good job with him except for the horrendously small tank. The owner said that he switched the GG over to the 60 a year ago and he hasn't grown since. Imagine that :mad:

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Hopefully some good food, tons of space, and lots of wc's will get him back on track!

Reactions: tlindsey

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Nice fish! They're super cool. Probably the best "wet pet". At the age yours is they eat lots of fruit & veg, mine loves strawberries, blueberries, kiwi fruit, kale, spinach, zucchini, peas, aquatic plants, including Java ferns etc. I'm sure it'll bring you many years of joy.
Tank mates can be a big of a hit & miss, they like to the dominant fish, especially in the top level.I have mine in a 500 with a red tail giant, silver aro, clown knife, tinfoils, couple of cichlids, with no real issues. It owns the left 1/3 of the tank, other than the red tail and a red parrot no other fish are tolerated in this area, rest of the tank Is fine, bottom dwelling fish are not even looked at

Last edited:

Ihsnshaik

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2015
Windy CIty
Nice GG! I'm glad you got it especially at that price. What lighting are you using I have a black background and black sand as well and I need to get some new lights.

Whats the other fish in the tank?

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Nice GG! I'm glad you got it especially at that price. What lighting are you using I have a black background and black sand as well and I need to get some new lights.

Whats the other fish in the tank?
Thanks! I use current satellite leds (you can find them on amazon). I've had them for over 3 years and they haven't skipped a beat. That was one of my juvenile dovii. I moved him and his lady friend to their own 150 this morning.

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Nice fish! They're super cool. Probably the best "wet pet". At the age yours is they eat lots of fruit & veg, mine loves strawberries, blueberries, kiwi fruit, kale, spinach, zucchini, peas, aquatic plants, including Java ferns etc. I'm sure it'll bring you many years of joy.
Tank mates can be a big of a hit & miss, they like to the dominant fish, especially in the top level.I have mine in a 500 with a red tail giant, silver aro, clown knife, tinfoils, couple of cichlids, with no real issues. It owns the left 1/3 of the tank, other than the red tail and a red parrot no other fish are tolerated in this area, rest of the tank Is fine, bottom dwelling fish are not even looked at
Wow! Thanks for all of the helpful info. I'll be sure to pick up lots of fruits and veggies when I go to the store this evening. The GG and a small jd are the only inhabitants in my 400. I'm thinking about just keeping it that way. He's happy as can be with his 1 tank mate. This is his tank after all! How often and how much do you feed your GG?

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Nice!
Not only is it a GG, but its a red tail GG

I saw your other thread about the pricing for a GG, and I had a strong feeling that this fish was in housed in a tank much too small for it. I'm betting the original owner just wanted to get rid of this behemoth, and probably would have given it away for free, but figured what the heck and just put a price tag on it.

Anyways, I think now that he's in an appropriate sized tank, with good husbandry those colors and that tail will come back nicely. My platinum GG is about 15" now and is very personable, but doesn't care for tank mates. I give him plenty of fruits and veggies daily, and pellets a few times week.

jwh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 7, 2015
south ****holia
Feed mine once daily, one day a week I fast. I normally leave either spinach or kale on veggie clips, nuked in the micro for about 30 seconds to soften it up somewhat. They also get cichlid floating pellets and Hikari jumbo carnisticks. Once to twice a week live crickets and/or giant meal worms, they go nuts over these, best to keep as a treat. Fruit is cut up & given raw, as they grow the size of the fruit can increase, looking at yours I think it will be able to eat a whole strawberry or cherrie tomato. Frozen peas, carrots, broccoli, I cook for about 3 mins in micro, and feed in bite sized chunks. Obviously not all of this every day, I feed what we have in the house at the time
If yours hasn't been fed fruit or veg, it may take a while for it to get used to it. I have found them very undemanding in terms of diet they eat pretty much everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store