Finally got my Dream Giant Gourami!!!

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Nice!
Not only is it a GG, but its a red tail GG

I saw your other thread about the pricing for a GG, and I had a strong feeling that this fish was in housed in a tank much too small for it. I'm betting the original owner just wanted to get rid of this behemoth, and probably would have given it away for free, but figured what the heck and just put a price tag on it.

Anyways, I think now that he's in an appropriate sized tank, with good husbandry those colors and that tail will come back nicely. My platinum GG is about 15" now and is very personable, but doesn't care for tank mates. I give him plenty of fruits and veggies daily, and pellets a few times week.
Wow I had no idea that he was a red tail! I just figured that he was a normal grey GG. Either way I love both color patterns!

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Feed mine once daily, one day a week I fast. I normally leave either spinach or kale on veggie clips, nuked in the micro for about 30 seconds to soften it up somewhat. They also get cichlid floating pellets and Hikari jumbo carnisticks. Once to twice a week live crickets and/or giant meal worms, they go nuts over these, best to keep as a treat. Fruit is cut up & given raw, as they grow the size of the fruit can increase, looking at yours I think it will be able to eat a whole strawberry or cherrie tomato. Frozen peas, carrots, broccoli, I cook for about 3 mins in micro, and feed in bite sized chunks. Obviously not all of this every day, I feed what we have in the house at the time
If yours hasn't been fed fruit or veg, it may take a while for it to get used to it. I have found them very undemanding in terms of diet they eat pretty much everything.
Awesome! Thanks for all of the great info. The previous owner said that he loved lettuce, but lettuce has almost no nutritional value. Tomorrow when I feed him for the first time I'll offer a couple of big mealworms just to get him eating. Hopefully in the next couple of weeks I'll have him on a well rounded diet.

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
Wow I had no idea that he was a red tail! I just figured that he was a normal grey GG. Either way I love both color patterns!
It's a GG, not a red tail. Nice find, especially at such size. Congrats!

Reactions: labiatus55

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Thanks! I got lucky! The red tail is actually classified as a giant gourami. It is one of the 4 species in the osphronemus genus (ie giant gourami).

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Thanks! I got lucky! The red tail is actually classified as a giant gourami. It is one of the 4 species in the osphronemus genus (ie giant gourami).
No, the one you got is NOT red tail giant gourami. However, you may find a RTGG easier than the one you got. Here some pics of RTGG
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Yes I realize that he may not be a rtgg.

I was telling xraycer that I was perfectly fine with him being a rtgg or just a normal grey gg. Regardless, those are some beautiful RTGG's! Are they yours?

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
The one you got is osphronemus gorami and RTGG is osphronemus laticlavius

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
Yes I realize that he may not be a rtgg.

I was telling xraycer that I was perfectly fine with him being a rtgg or just a normal grey gg. Regardless, those are some beautiful RTGG's! Are they yours?
Yes, they're mine. I got one giant gourami a few years ago, around 20"-24", just lost it last year around Father day weekend. I hope I can find another one

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
I'm very sorry to hear that. I've had mine for less than a day and I'm already attached. I hope you find the perfect GG!

The one you got is osphronemus gorami and RTGG is osphronemus laticlavius
You are correct.

BigTex

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2015
Just giving a little update on my new monster. He ate for the fist time today. I diced up 4 oz of talapia and mixed it with all sorts of veggies, and he ate every last bite. So I gave him some more! Can't let him starve now lol.After eating he started showing some red in his fins and tail. Xraycer might be on to something!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store