Finally my turn, roughly 1,000 gal plywood build

Fish Eat Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2007
Mankato
That is all option, though I'm wondering how much I really need to worry about all the drains being at one end? It will essentially be set up like a peninsula style tank, pretty common in the reef world. They don't seem to have any issues with the overflow on one narrow end. I'm thinking I'll set it up and if I end up with problems I can figure it out from there
As long as you have some decent flow in the tank it should be a problem. Maybe use some huge power heads to ensure water isn't just circulating from output to intake...just to be safe.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
that is amazing cant wait to see the finished product
Thank you!

As long as you have some decent flow in the tank it should be a problem. Maybe use some huge power heads to ensure water isn't just circulating from output to intake...just to be safe.
I'm not too worried, I think I'll have enough returns but it if becomes an issue I may add some.

I know everyone loves seeing prices and everything on these, so to give an idea, below is my pricing on PVC parts. This doesn't include the main tank or any bulkheads. I've also already bought about $100 worth of other fittings from Home Depot already. Bulkheads were another $225. Plumbing a bunch of tanks isn't cheap!

upload_2016-10-4_13-41-23.png

Reactions: M@T!@$

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Some updates! My box of parts arrived today, 38 lbs worth of fittings and valves, the box is massive. I'll be up late tonight installing pipe to at least the 150 gal, maybe some of the other tanks as well.

I also decided last week to ditch the 2 HP pump. So instead of that one and a Hammerhead I'm going with three Hammerheads. I already have one, I just got a second one ordered that will be here tomorrow. Third I will order as we are getting closer to the main tank being ready.

And maybe the most exciting part, I've ordered some occupants for the 150 that will eventually go into the main tank. They are being held until my tank is ready so hopefully just a couple more weeks.

Reactions: mrrobxc

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Love these threads. Every one of them inspires me to do one as soon as I get a house with a walk out basement. Mine is underground and that creates issues. Good luck and keep up with the updates. Thanks!

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
A walk out basement would be amazing and a huge help. Honestly if I had that I may even consider just buying a tank instead of building one. I'd also be using 12' sheets of drywall instead of 8' sheets. Life would be much easier lol. But even with turns on the stairs it is possible to make it work. All of this is even in a townhouse lol

I got some work done last night, worked for a few hours attaching PVC to the sumps bulkheads. I was limited on how far I could go until I get my new pump in today, but I did get to a point where there is now water in the sumps. Out of 6 bulkheads I had leaks from three of them. Problem with a bulkhead on a curved surface I suppose. In any case using some pliers I was able to get them cranked down enough to stop the leaks. As of this morning they are all still dry so I think we are good.

Also for those who haven't used it, flex PVC is some cool stuff. It is a pain in the ass to glue in but it is super useful.

Tonight I will have the new pump, I'll be getting that plumbed in, then finishing the return to the 150 gal as well as the remaining drain pipe from it. I also need to figure out how I'm going to plumb in the two filters. Even with two less tanks space is tight so I'm not sure where exactly they are going to go. Tonight's plan is to figure that out and hopefully build stands for them.

So some pics. Pardon the mess!

20161012_224116.jpg 20161012_224129.jpg

Reactions: kelz and mrrobxc

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
Well last night was a night of ups and downs. So to start with I've never used an external pump before, so I'm still sort of figuring this out. Basic idea is the same but there are additional things to consider I'm discovering.

So my new Hammerhead arrived yesterday, it is one beautiful pump if I'm being honest. Never thought I'd say that about a pump, but it surprised me lol. Honestly it has me considering replacing my third pump with a new one instead of the used one I have.

I got everything hooked up and then proceeded to run into some issues. I had a leak out of the output side of the pump, it was dripping pretty good. I also found out disconnecting the pump there still tends to be a lot of water in the pipes when they are 2". So my basement got a bit wet last night. At one point I plugged the pump in and it just hummed but didn't move water, so I was worried it jammed up. I opened it up, found nothing so I put it back together and it ran fine again. So not sure if plugging it in too often triggered a safety thing on it or what. Either way it is running fine now.

Next issue the overflows are not moving water quick enough, the water line in the tank gets very high. I'm going to cut the teeth out of the overflows and use the mesh instead, it should flow a whole lot more water. The last and biggest issue, after looking at the 150 upstairs for a few mins I go down to the basement and check things, the sump on the right where the pump is pulling from is nearly out of water, the sump on the left where the water is returned to is nearly overflowing at this point. Turns out that a 1.5" pipe doesn't flow enough water to balance the two out when a pump is moving 6000 GPH between them. So I've ordered a couple 2" bulkheads. Guess I'll be drilling out a couple new holes and seeing if a 2" pipe between the two will be enough. Fingers crossed that it is.

20161013_205356.jpg received_1793416147593221.jpg received_1793432827591553.jpg received_1793452070922962.jpg received_1793452737589562.jpg

Reactions: kelz and M@T!@$

kelz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2013
Brooklyn
That is one amazing pump. I run one on my 600 gallon plywood bottom tank. Only half way open and works magic lol. Love the build.

fishguy306

Peacock Bass
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2005
Illinois
They really are great aren't they? Without a doubt it is the best pump I've ever owned. Reeflo has made me a customer for life between the quality and the help they've given me with this one and the used ones I bought.

Made some more progress last night, added in a couple more PVC runs. First was a T out of the main section out of the pump, I decided I'm going to power the in wall tank with this pump as well. I also added pipe going to the first jacuzzi filter. I got it mounted and in place. Need to get the second one in place and mounted, then I'll finish the line to it as well. Didn't get to try and run the pump last night but it is coming along!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store