Firebelly Toads

flapper12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
Texas
Hey everybody. I have a empty 29gal and I think I finally know what I'm going to do with it. At first I was thinking dwarf puffers but there is a pretty nice chip in the glass around the top on the edge(where the seam is) and I'm scared if I fill it up with water I will end up with 29gal's of water everywhere on the floor and a few dead puffers. Well I was looking and noticed something about firebelly toads and I've been dieing to do a vivarium, and thought this would be the perfect thing for them. I need some info on them and the cost of the items I will be purchasing(if you don't want to post the cost its fine, I will do research on my dads computer that actually lets me click on the stuff I google).
Will gravel be a fine substrate, I've read some stuff that they can swallow it so now I'm stumped on what to get lol. So what will work? I think I'm going to seperate the tank or do something that somebody else did, use turtle ramps for the land area, I think this is a great idea so then I will have a lot of water. What would yall personally do about this? I think the filter I'm going to get is the whisper in-tank filter 40i. I might make some sort of water fall with it but I don't know yet. Do I need a heater, if so I already have one that I bought for the tank originally, if not I can just use it for a 55gal that me and my mom both want.
Thanks for the info in advance!
P.S. sorry for such a long subject.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
why dont you do something a bit more exotic like the tree frogs or tamato frogs.Im not sure how much hieght the tree frogs need but i think you might wish you did something like that in the end.TomatoFrogAdult001.JPG

whites_tree_frog_1.jpg

flapper12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
Texas
I guess I could. I just saw firebelly toads today at petco and thought I could put them in my 29gal. I'm kind of limited on my stores locally. Only have like a petco and a petsmart that hasn't even opened yet. I want something that'll move around and I've heard that tree frogs don't move around much.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
yeah,lol,they seem to be like suction cups for decor sometimes.Well just think it out good.once you get something your gonna have it a while unless you can sell it later and get something dif.Having just the 1 store sucks.Can you not order on the net or from a store out of town?Are you stuck on viv or would you go lizards or small snake.Leapord geckos are fun and active while on the hunt.Dude dont let me stray you from the toads.They are neet too.Just make sure you look at your options and think if you might get board with it later,if not then great,if so,youll be like all us and end up with a zoo,lol.Let us know.

flapper12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
Texas
Ya, I'm definetly gonna think it out. I caught a crayfish a while back and its in its own little 10gal and I'm wishing I never did put it in there but I aint gonna kill it or anything. I've thought about lizards and stuff like that. I've wanted something that will be on land and go in the water too, don't know why I like it I just do. The original plan was to put firebelly newts in the tank but I later noticed(after doing extensive research) that none of the stupid stores around here had them. I thought I was gonna lose it after that one lol.
I doubt I can order anything live online since its so darn expensive. And I don't think my mom wants to drive to austin to get a newt, or frog, or watever I would end up getting.

jason longboard

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2007
california
well dont get me wrong,the fire frogs would be cool if you did something neet with the tank.If you havent kept a lot of herps then maybe stick with those.I wouldnt mine having a group of them.I goog imaged some tanks and you can do it too to get ideas.Dont go so overboard that cleaning it sucks and remember that with peatmoss and soils you can get fungus and mold with all the humidity.You can research all that stuff.Im not the frog guy here.Funny,i kept a crawfish too for a while and didnt want to kill it.Just kept feeding it and one day it just croaked.Cant you return it to the wild if you want the tank for something else?Heres some pics i found.If i were you i would try and make it natural looking,no hyperglow rocks and plants,lol.frogglettfbtoad.jpg

frontview.jpg

flapper12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
Texas
I've thought about returning it for a while but I got it from our ditch when it had been raining. The problem is, it hasn't rained in for freakin ever so there is no place to put it lol. Oh well, I guess I'll see how big he gets. Thanks for the pictures. I hope I can make a decent vivarium considering I've never done it before. I'll have plenty of time to do research cuz it'll be a while before I can set the tank up. My mom has to work like everyday now so I'm like never home.

flapper12

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2007
Texas
I'll probably start setting up during the summer. I really can't do anything because my mom works like all the time now and I don't have time to set it up. I was just trying to get my info, so I know what to get and everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store