FireMedic's hydroponics idea - success fail stories

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
In this thread you can see the pothos in the full tank shot: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389730

I've had my pothos for at least 2 years now. I started with 3-4 short vines and placed about 8-10" of the vine submerged right in the tank. Doesn't take long for the roots to start. The vines now are at least 6' long, some longer and there are some that have started to branch. I found that leaves submerged will eventually die and fall off.
There is a south facing window a few feet to the right of my tank, so the plants get some natural light as well as some ambient light from the tank lights.

Nitrate level in the tank runs 40-60 ppm. I'm sure the plants are using some nutrients from the tank water. Back when I had my motoro pair in the same tank (prior to adding the plants) the nitrate level was around 80-100ppm.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Just Toby;4884993; said:
I cannot get my pothos to send out roots when suspended in a glass of water...should I have them in tank water to get them to root?

Yes, try them right in the tank. Make sure some of the plant is above the water line.

Just Toby

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Guildford UK
spotfin;4886997; said:
Yes, try them right in the tank. Make sure some of the plant is above the water line.
Thanks, up until now I have made a cutting and left the base in a glass of water with the leaf sticking out, I wonder if the warm tank water laden with nutrients would be better.

I will try it.

wing888

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2009
UK
Anyone tried using bamboo? Took some from my wife's vase and has some good roots.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
wing888;4890339; said:
Anyone tried using bamboo? Took some from my wife's vase and has some good roots.
I believe I've read of Oddball having success with it. That being said it obviously has to work..... In our hobby his word might as well be law. :ROFL:

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
I have been overwhelmed with Professional and personal strife lately. I logged on here tonight and it brought a smile from ear to ear to see how many of my Brothers and Sisters are having success with plants as a filtration component.

I tried Bamboo, didn't succeed. I think I had the lighting all wrong. I tried Water Hyacinth but again I think I botched the lighting. It seems that the Pothos is the least picky about light and general care. It has flourished in water temps down in the mid 60's and up to mid 80's. The lighting now is an aging flouresent. I trim the dead leaves every now and then.

I would really like to see someone succeed with Bamboo and Hyacinth.

Respectfully,
FireMedic.

knifegill

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
Oscar Tummy
So far, moderate success. I've got spider plants, pothos and a willow branch in an old hob just hanging there and they are all sprouting roots like mad and growing. Nitrates are lower than normal for sure. Still doing my weekly water changes to prevent excess stabilization and vulnerability, but it's working. I'm thinking of letting the spider plants root into some gravel since I've been reading that they will eventually die in hydroponic arrangements. And word on spider plant lifespan in hydroponic-style setups?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
FireMedic;4892010; said:
I have been overwhelmed with Professional and personal strife lately. I logged on here tonight and it brought a smile from ear to ear to see how many of my Brothers and Sisters are having success with plants as a filtration component.
This is one of the reasons why I love MFK :)

jdbrock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2009
Cincinnati
FireMedic;4892010; said:
I have been overwhelmed with Professional and personal strife lately.
I agree.

Marble swords are another good one. Stick the roots in the water and let them go. They require very little light, and they get BIG. Naturally they are a pond plant which likes shade. They look cool too unless you grow them submerged then they're just another green sword.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store