FireMedic's hydroponics idea - success fail stories

severum1

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 25, 2007
Portugal
FireMedic;4892010; said:
I tried Bamboo, didn't succeed. I think I had the lighting all wrong. I tried Water Hyacinth but again I think I botched the lighting.

I would really like to see someone succeed with Bamboo and Hyacinth.

Respectfully,
FireMedic.
Hi.

I have both, but with sun lighting in my greenhouse. Inside is not easy ;). I also tried but they didnt make it :(

I'm doing some new experiments but until now no good news :(

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
jdbrock;4892049; said:
I agree.

Marble swords are another good one. Stick the roots in the water and let them go. They require very little light, and they get BIG. Naturally they are a pond plant which likes shade. They look cool too unless you grow them submerged then they're just another green sword.
Where would one find marble swords?
Any other bog type plants that would grow well with roots submerged and not require bright light?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I'm gonna try peace lillies.

My sis had a flower shop and she seemed to think anything they used in Betta vases should work. She also mentioned Antherium being a very nice looking plant, but a lil more difficult to care for...

Evolution of the hobby huh? Back breaking waterchanges to growing aquatic flowers? Comedy right there. Makes you wonder what the future holds....

jdbrock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2009
Cincinnati
I get them from sweet aquatics, I'm lucky enough to have this guy close at hand until June. Like all swords they use a lot of iron so you'll need to stick a small iron nail or wire in the styro foam right where it meets the water.

I'd say your guess about it being a bog plant is probably right.

Mokujin22

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 28, 2009
Gatihersburg, MD
Gonna totally try this tonight. We have a pothos plant that we always forget to water upstairs. Gonna stick it in the top corner of my 180 with roots going down through the plastic cover strip into one of the overflow towers (my African cichlids would tear it up otherwise). The 180 is in the basement, but next to a window. Hopefully should do fine without artificial lighting.

Thanks!

Horiyoshi III

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2006
41.769N -71.129W
www.facebook.com
To your relief Firemedic..."bamboo" does work, I mean, we ARE talking about the Dracaena right?
The "lucky bamboo"?Not only does that Dracaena friggin' own as an emergent plant but so do the ones petco irresponsibly sells as submerged plants.The darker of the Dracaena's.I can get the name if you want.
Oh, and Pothos? Just take your cuttings a few leaves below the growth shoot.Somehow suspend the cut end into the water and you're off!

These pictures will display the utter prowess of the "bamboo" and Pothos roots once they get their water roots going.I also have two varieties of Pothos, one is the common marbled and the other is called Neon.The normal marbled one is an excellent grower and in a few weeks UNDER 80 WATTS OF 6500K grew thicker vines and broader leaves than I've seen the sun do to the same plant in soil.
Also, I have this tank divided so my cichlids won't d-stroy my precious little WC, Native, blue-spotted sunfish, so in that chamber I decided to let the plants stay, as my Severum would def. eat all the roots back.
Sorry for the lack of cleanliness and utilitarian look to the tank.It's effective though.I also added an older shot of a Mantis I owned eating right above the young plants.I suggest keeping native insects as well.

You too can grow Bamboo!If your "Lucky".

Also, that wired-up fixture is a home-made L.E.D. I know one of you have seen those!
Thank you.

Energy

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2005
Tropical Minnesota
I have a large stand of Bamboo in my system as well. It is doing fine and has spread out a massive root structure.

bbenjamin21

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2010
New York
People from the planted section have told me to use pothos also. But when they said it nowheres locally didn't have any. I'm going to go back out tonight and look again after reading all this. My question is, will these plants totally eliminate nitrates? Becuz that is not wut we want. We would like to see them sit right around 20

ajsmith235

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2010
Southern Indiana
thats where mine are sitting... between 20-40, not any lower. LOT better than 150's every week b4 my wc. now its been close to 3 weeks and nitrates are 25 soooo im loving life

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store