firemouth and tetra community, or something BIGGER?

Community or large cichlid?

• Total voters

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
If you are bored with your set up you will get really bored with a single Green Terror. I like green terrors but they are not nearly as active as Firemouths. You may want to add a second Firemouth and watch them interact. I think multiple fire mouths are extremely entertaining.

There are no need for live plants if you don't want to up keep them get rid of them. You can also keep a BN in your current set up.

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Here are mine defending there territory together. This was last week and they bred a few days ago. IMO Firemouths colors and activity get brilliant when others are firemouths are around.

The Synspilium and GT have been moved to a new tank.

20141015_215505a.jpg

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
If you are bored with your set up you will get really bored with a single Green Terror. I like green terrors but they are not nearly as active as Firemouths. You may want to add a second Firemouth and watch them interact. I think multiple fire mouths are extremely entertaining.

There are no need for live plants if you don't want to up keep them get rid of them. You can also keep a BN in your current set up.
100% right :thumbsup:

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
I can spend ages watching my Firemouth community... Its my world of Firemouths and they can be so rewarding.. they constantly spare but rarely harm eachother... its a passive form of aggression if you know what I mean ;)

[video=youtube;LePRHYzilq4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LePRHYzilq4[/video]
A community of Firemouths

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com
[video=youtube;Yy0Yl_u4xYA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy0Yl_u4xYA[/video]
My 7" Male Firemouth

Cyberman

Aimara
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2011
Durham, UK
www.facebook.com

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia
Why bother with a POLL which is in favour 4 to 1 on Firemouths and Tetras then just not listen to it?? You're just one of these who asks for opinions and goes with what he wants anyway. All I'll say is this is normal in fishkeeping circles.... Quite a lot of people cant stick to one fish or a group of fish and easily get bored and move on to the next Fad...
Although it may appear that I am like that, I do in fact highly value the opinions of everyone who posted here. The firemouth was a fish that I got as I didn't have the room for anything bigger. Now I do. The poll, and indeed this thread, wasn't so much to inform me what to do, but to see what other people would do. True, when I did post the original question, I was a little conflicted as to which direction to go in, however I shortly thereafter made up my mind, but I am still interested in seeing what others opinions are. One thing that has really helped me cement my decision is the firemouth spending the last few months almost continuously hiding up the back of the tank, despite being the biggest fish in there and having plenty of dithers. I now have the option of a larger tank, and with it, the opportunity for a larger, more active (and therefore far more interesting and pleasing) cichlid.

Bigcatfishrule

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2014
Victoria, Australia

Yes, you may be right about multiple firemouths being colourful and active, but I have had absolute nightmares when trying to put more than one cichlid in the same tank. Even when I tried mixing africans it didn't work out and I lost a $45 Altolamprologus Calvus because of aggression from a $15 hybrid. And regarding your opinion about GT's being boring, just as you find firemouths fascinating when I do not, I love GT's and having temporarily accommodated one before, I know that I love watching them for hours on end. Although I thank you for your opinion, it is valued.

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
Yes, you may be right about multiple firemouths being colourful and active, but I have had absolute nightmares when trying to put more than one cichlid in the same tank. Even when I tried mixing africans it didn't work out and I lost a $45 Altolamprologus Calvus because of aggression from a $15 hybrid. And regarding your opinion about GT's being boring, just as you find firemouths fascinating when I do not, I love GT's and having temporarily accommodated one before, I know that I love watching them for hours on end. Although I thank you for your opinion, it is valued.
Lol, I'll be impressed if you stick with the GT for 6 months.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store