First nano-reef build

Rhodes09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
Looks great just watch out for the starfish. Mine caused a lot of problems in my tank. They look to borrow in the sand and eat all your good bacteria which caused my tank to basically crash!
That's a good point, I believe the amount of crushed live rock I have in my filtration should maintain enough bacteria to keep stable parameters...

mattstevens1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2012
deer park ny
How is the anenome doing? I have the same one at my job thinking of bringing it home and trying to get my clowns to host in it. I've heard they are a pain and seem to move a lot. What I'm worried of is that my dimensions are 24x12x24 so It will try to move it's way closer to the light and not stay still at all.

Rhodes09

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
This is my first experience with the Purple-tip but I would highly recommend it already. It has relocated itself several times, but it seems to take food readily from any spot. I have the lights on roughly 10-12 hours a day, but it's a combination of light and water flow that make prime real estate for the anemone. Here's the current location, been here for the last 2 nights so let's see if it settles in..

IMG_4300.jpg

IMG_4300.jpg

Jamesy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2012
Would you not have waited for the tank to establish for at least a year before adding the Anemone?

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Yeah I get what you mean. I've been thinking about it forever but I didn't want a massive tank. Seeing you do it in a 30g gives me hope.

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
I started my first with a 20 gallon, it's not as hard as people make it sounds thats for sure, as long as you do your research and you know what your doing then you shouldn't have any problems.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
I started my first with a 20 gallon, it's not as hard as people make it sounds thats for sure, as long as you do your research and you know what your doing then you shouldn't have any problems.

Well I'm just questioning the size of the tank right now. Is it better longer or is height important? I'm hoping for a 35 gallon long if I can find one.
Also if I have a protein skimmer do I have to have a different filter in two?

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Well I'm just questioning the size of the tank right now. Is it better longer or is height important? I'm hoping for a 35 gallon long if I can find one.
Also if I have a protein skimmer do I have to have a different filter in two?

Usually with saltwater you don't want a canister or hob filter cause they tend to become nitrate factories so if you got a protien skimmer then yes it would be the only filteration you would need.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store