First nano-reef build

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Anything specifique I should look for in a tank?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That depends on if you plan to have a sump or refugium in the stand. If you do then you would want to look for a tank that has a drilled in overflow but if you can't find one then a HOB overflow works fine too, I would suggest a sump or refugium if you weren't thinking about having one.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
That depends on if you plan to have a sump or refugium in the stand. If you do then you would want to look for a tank that has a drilled in overflow but if you can't find one then a HOB overflow works fine too, I would suggest a sump or refugium if you weren't thinking about having one.

If I don't need any other filtration apart from the protein skimmer why would I need a sump?

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
If I don't need any other filtration apart from the protein skimmer why would I need a sump?

Because a sump is just another form of filtration that some people like to have, I don't have a sump myself but I do have a refugium and it's a big help when it comes to housing live pods, keeping my nitrates down and keeping nuisance algae out of my tank.

Athleticfisherman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2012
Canada
Because a sump is just another form of filtration that some people like to have, I don't have a sump myself but I do have a refugium and it's a big help when it comes to housing live pods, keeping my nitrates down and keeping nuisance algae out of my tank.

Ok thanks I just did research on it and it takes the phosphates and nitrates out. What kind of media do you have in yours?

mr.bigglesworth

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2012
By SF, Farther Inland, NorCal
Hi ckdrummer, mind if i ask a question pertaining to chaeto?

So about how much do you think it would take to get 5ppm nitrates out of the water in a narrow space using a crappy low wattage ebay led light? Wattage is variable, it depends what i can get away with but was hoping 5-10 watts, will go as much as 20 watts. Also, they can be on 24 hours if needed.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Hi ckdrummer, mind if i ask a question pertaining to chaeto?

So about how much do you think it would take to get 5ppm nitrates out of the water in a narrow space using a crappy low wattage ebay led light? Wattage is variable, it depends what i can get away with but was hoping 5-10 watts, will go as much as 20 watts. Also, they can be on 24 hours if needed.
I'm not certain on how much it will take out, all I know is that eventually it will level out your phosphate and nitrate. And for the light, it doesnt really matter how much it grows but the fact that its in there and alive will help your tank but I use a 65 watt bulb in a lamp that I think was used for a reptile cage and it works great.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store