First ray tank.

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Hi, I want to set up a ray tank and have a few questions for which I am having trouble finding answers.
I have been keeping fish for about three years now and decided I want to set up a ray tank finally. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos and decided I want to start with a reticulated ray. I found a good deal I think on a 220 that is 6' x 24" x 30". From what I've read 6x24 is a decent minimum size for a reticulated.

One of my main questions is do they still import reticulated rays? I can't seem to find them available anywhere? I live in TN which doesn't seem to have a ban on them. Are they seasonal?
If they are impossible to get I'm not even going to worry about getting the tank and just stick with my 75.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hi, I want to set up a ray tank and have a few questions for which I am having trouble finding answers.
I have been keeping fish for about three years now and decided I want to set up a ray tank finally. I've been doing a lot of reading and watching videos and decided I want to start with a reticulated ray. I found a good deal I think on a 220 that is 6' x 24" x 30". From what I've read 6x24 is a decent minimum size for a reticulated.

One of my main questions is do they still import reticulated rays? I can't seem to find them available anywhere? I live in TN which doesn't seem to have a ban on them. Are they seasonal?
If they are impossible to get I'm not even going to worry about getting the tank and just stick with my 75.

Welcome to MFK☺
Dieselhybrid Dieselhybrid

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Reticulated rays are not being imported any more. Used to be the easiest ray to get but now they are virtually non-existent. Not a good first ray anyway. You are far better off to work on buying or building a much larger tank than a 220 and getting an easier to care for ray like motoro, hystrix, bd, ect...shoot for 8×4 or 8×4 footprint and try to acquire a captive bred ray

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Reticulated rays are not being imported any more. Used to be the easiest ray to get but now they are virtually non-existent. Not a good first ray anyway. You are far better off to work on buying or building a much larger tank than a 220 and getting an easier to care for ray like motoro, hystrix, bd, ect...shoot for 8×4 or 8×4 footprint and try to acquire a captive bred ray
I wish I had room for a tank that big but it isn't possible where I'm at now.
Are there any other breed of rays that will fit in a 6 x 24?

Is there anyone that breeds reticulated?

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
I don't know of anyone personally breeding retics, I'm sure someone somewhere is. Hystrix is probably a better ray all the way around. I personally wouldn't keep one in a 6×2, but it can be done.

Arkangel77

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2009
Carriere
You need more Space than a 6x2 footprint. I would not start with a retic.

Vandyfan13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2016
Tennessee

I'm from TN as well. From what i've found while looking for my rays are it's not really the season. Glass cages and the aquatic critter both told me they get motoro's in the fall. I would ask if they could order for you and see if that would work.

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
I'm from TN as well. From what i've found while looking for my rays are it's not really the season. Glass cages and the aquatic critter both told me they get motoro's in the fall. I would ask if they could order for you and see if that would work.
What part of TN?

I think I'm going to look into hystrix since reticulated don't seem to be a thing anymore.

Reactions: Vandyfan13
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store