First ray tank.

Vandyfan13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2016
Tennessee
I'm in Knox.
I hope they become available sooner than later. I'm interested to learn more about them. Never even knew they existed.
I could be wrong but from what I've read they are pretty hardy. I think Motoros are the most hardy and a little smaller. As if Ray's are considered small.

Vandyfan13

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2016
Tennessee
I'm in Knox.
I hope they become available sooner than later. I'm interested to learn more about them. Never even knew they existed.
I could be wrong but from what I've read they are pretty hardy. I think Motoros are the most hardy and a little smaller. As if Ray's are considered small.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
If you do find a rectic,try to get one that's been in captivity for a while and feeding well.
I have a three year old female rectic and she is easy enough to keep.
The hard part is getting juveniles to accept prepared foods.This was already done for me as mine was an adult when I got her.
Once they are established they seem easy enough.

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
I thought I read Motoro's are one of the bigger breeds?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Good information here. Travis spot on. I would absolutely discourage a reticulated stingray to anyone but an expert who knows exactly what they are buying. Historically they were always wild caught, infested and infected, and only eating live foods. If you found one now, likely captive bred but they still have small mouths, high metabolisms, and get huge.

For a smaller tank, if you insist on a 6x2, hystrix or proven mini marble are the only options.

Save for a bigger tank and do it the right way. You'll have more stocking options and greater chance at success.

Good luck

Mrw3ss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2017
Good information here. Travis spot on. I would absolutely discourage a reticulated stingray to anyone but an expert who knows exactly what they are buying. Historically they were always wild caught, infested and infected, and only eating live foods. If you found one now, likely captive bred but they still have small mouths, high metabolisms, and get huge.

For a smaller tank, if you insist on a 6x2, hystrix or proven mini marble are the only options.

Save for a bigger tank and do it the right way. You'll have more stocking options and greater chance at success.

Good luck
It's not really an issue of purchasing a bigger tank, I just don't have anywhere to put a bigger tank in my house. A 6ft tank is about as big as I can do for the forseable future.

Do you have any potential places to keep an eye on besides aquabid for a hystrix?

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
It's the width, or front to back that is key. a 4x4 would be more ideal than a 6x2 IMO.

Check the classified here and I've heard the facebook groups, although I'm uncertain as I don't frequent there.

Reactions: Bigfishnut

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Really?
I always thought rectic was one of the smallest rays.Mine is 3 to 4 years old and has a 12 inch disc.Ive never seen one bigger.
However I am fairly new to rays and this is my first one.
I am ready to be wrong on this,I know there are some very clued up ray keepers here.
It just contradicts all my research on the species.

Bigfishnut

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2016
Warren PA
Really?
I always thought rectic was one of the smallest rays.Mine is 3 to 4 years old and has a 12 inch disc.Ive never seen one bigger.
However I am fairly new to rays and this is my first one.
I am ready to be wrong on this,I know there are some very clued up ray keepers here.
It just contradicts all my research on the species.
Female retics can get 18"+...not the norm, but you are correct, they are one of the "small" rays. Congrats on being one of the few people to start with a retic for your first ray and successfully keep it alive! Many have tried, most have failed almost immediately. Not an easy ray to get through the acclamation process.

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've seen retics over 20" diameter. Most don't live long enough. Is yours a male? Males don't usually get as large and females don't reach their true size until they have bred several times. I have rays over 12 years old and they still are growing.

Reactions: Bigfishnut
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store