First Setup plan

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Sounds like a fun project cant wait to see the finish. You might get better answers in the DIY area. What is your planned stock?

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
I thought it might be best to keep the fish out of the inside of the tree itself, not the caves. Do you think it would be allright to leave it all open? 3 caves going into hollow tree ---- NO screen?? I am worried about the screen clooging up with algea and gunk.

I was thinking of this also, putting an airstone inside the tree, bubbles should cause a flow through the bottom hole and up to overflow. Might catch some heavy stuff the RUGF kicks up. Working like the little air powered filters on small tanks.

As for stock. I hope to find some MFK folks close by that can help be get some natives.

I would like small GAR Sunfish, and a small snapping turtle. Wife really wants an albino frog again. Kept getting out of the 10, eventually died. And maybe small crayfish, I can catch them at my house easy.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
A 10G sump seems a bit small for a 100G. I would do a 20G or a 29G.

Other than that, looks like you're getting there.

Effrul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
Texas
Really interested in seeing how this turns out with the cement you are planning on using. I'm not looking forward to all the water changes coming having used quikrete cement.
Are you going to need to cut the background into pieces to get it into the tank? With my 90G I had to cut mine into 3 to fit it in.
Also where do you plan on putting the heater?

kzimmerman

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2009
delmar md
I wouldn't use cement, so many poblems with wate chemistry. i would just get some foam, carve it to shape, and apply a few layes of epoxy to it. as far as cycling, I would use the screens on the intake caves to block the fishes, and just clean them ev ery water change. I would also add the fishes you have after 24 hours of setup, and then add more stock gradually. make sure you let the epoxy cure for 24 hrs or so, and then fill it, let it soak for 24 hs, do a complete water change, fill, let sit for 24 hrs and then start adding stock.

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
heater will be in the sump.

I am waiting for word from glass cages on the dimensions, and if braces how big of openings i will have.

I have been reading that hydraulic concrete and some concrete resurfacing compounds work very well.

there are some products that are much better, but hard to find in my area, top silika or something like that is one.

Effrul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2009
Texas
I think hydraulic concrete still can contain limestone/lime, afaik portland cement is made from limestone and is a hydraulic concrete.... Best bet is probably to check the MSDS of whatever you get and make sure there is no lime/limestone/portland cement listed.

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
I have been doing a lot of reading, and a lot of people use regular concrete. But they do many water changes as it cures.

This guy and others used SikaTop Seal 107 and it appears to work excellant. I will try to get some, but you have to find a supplier.

http://ice1forum.suddenlaunch3.com/index.cgi?board=DIY&num=1115002332&action=display&start=30

Thoroseal is a sealer that workers well for many

http://forum.doityourself.com/archive/index.php/t-289276.html

http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-decoration/17.asp

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store