First Setup plan

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Pharaoh;3354351; said:
A 10G sump seems a bit small for a 100G. I would do a 20G or a 29G.

Other than that, looks like you're getting there.
Yep, what he said.

A 10g sump is do-able, but you will drive yourself crazy making it work and getting the bugs out.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Use saltwater to cure the cement. I forget if it is type one or type two portland cement that you should use, but I'll go check the garage tomorrow for what I have out there. On the GARF site, they cure their rock for 24 hrs before putting it to use. Still, I'd give it a week or two.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
It's going to be a while before I get the time to post a thread on my new way of plumbing a tank (for silent operation). Here's some pictures how it is done. Remember, you saw it here first.

This is the plumbing in the tank. The outer two stand pipes handle the majority of the flow. The center one only gets a trickle.

DSCI0002.JPG

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
And the plumbing...
The two ball valves are slowly closed to tune the flow to what the pump will output. They are closed down until the water rises to the top of the center pipe.

It is important to know that the plumbing must be over sized 2x. Otherwise the pipes will still audibly suck in air. This wasn't an issue in my silent overflow box because of the prefilter.

And yes, that is an algae turf scrubber. More on that at a later date.

DSCI0004.JPG

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Ummm...I just noticed that the first picture doesn't make much sense because I forgot to take off the yellow strainers from the main overflows. The outer two pipes are about 3/4" below the water line so they don't suck in air. They also don't make any noise because of it. The center pipe doesn't make any noise because it is barely a trickle of water that sticks to the side of the pipe.

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Very cool idea CHOMPERS. Glad to see you've freed yourself up enough to join us again.

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
3rdDraft.jpg

ok 3rd draft take a look let me know. I can NOT do my background. Just thought about it, and I will have to work around the floor joists, so i do not know exactly where the holes will go until i get the cabinet in and joists locations calculated.

I fi can not find a used 20+tank, i will go complete diy and build a acrylic tank for the sump. If your gonna dive in, dive head first.

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
Pharaoh;3354351; said:
A 10G sump seems a bit small for a 100G. I would do a 20G or a 29G.

Other than that, looks like you're getting there.
i second that your gonna want a 20 gallon long atleast. you dont want to have to top off every day. also you want enough room for equipment but you can always add a bigger sump later.

also i think it would be ok to leave the tree open unless theres a open intake or something in there(the fish can fit in and get sucked into the sump)

sostoudt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 5, 2009
va
Redoog;3361098; said:
ok 3rd draft take a look let me know. I can NOT do my background. Just thought about it, and I will have to work around the floor joists, so i do not know exactly where the holes will go until i get the cabinet in and joists locations calculated.

I fi can not find a used 20+tank, i will go complete diy and build a acrylic tank for the sump. If your gonna dive in, dive head first.
ok a couple things i missed the first look over.
are you absolutely set on a ugf or rugf? they will give you alot of surface area but they are hard to clean. personally i would just use a regular overflow, because dialing in the overflow rate with a valve sounds kinda iffy. i think the ugf just complicates things.

heres a rockwall that uses epoxy not cement if that helps http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/management/Luto_Jay_DIY_Background.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store