Tru Vue

72x18x18 Acrylic $599.00

Holes predrilled $32.

sch 40 bulkheads $36.00

Shipping FREE
-----------------------
Total $ 667.00
1 brace 2 opening for background work.

FYI--They do not recomend or discourage the use of foam BTW, Only said it must be fully support on the bottom, like mine cabinet is.

Gallons ?? I would gain 1 " with truvue, but how much would i lose due to thinkness of acrylic vs glass? IDK differances.

Wait would be about the same either location. 2-3 weeks.

While glasscages has been Ok to deal with, a little harsh on some things, TruVue was overly friendly, and did not even try to sell me a tank, just called me and told me the qoute, and have a nice day. I called back today, still no salesmanship, just answered my questions, as pleasant as could be, qoute is good for 30 days, have a nice day.

I could drill the acrylic myself, but why if they are willling, for 32.00 what if i messed up?

I could save 92 off glass, but worried their glass looks kinda green. Anyone have one without saphire glass?

Give me some good feedback. i was planning a $300 tank, wife not so happy I am doubling it, so whatever i do it beter be good.

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
I am always interested in others projects !! Your project looks good BTW.

The name may be missleading, it is called a 75, but it is really just a little biger then a 20 gallon aquarium. I think it was meant to filter a 75 gallon aquarium.

It looked like a pretty decent sump. But I wanted to DIY my own.

I have been looking and reading everyones ideas. I think I am going to be very close to my last sump design, with heavy filtration abpve the bioballs and scrubbies. This will also be something i can easily replace.

I am going to do 2 other things that will be overkill, but they are easy DIY, so I just wanted try.
1 is a coil denitrified my third overflow will be perfect for the low flow required

and 2 is I will use the low flow from the denitrified to drip on a algea scrubber. The light for the algea scrubber will also help keep the temps up in the winter. Something i believe you asked about before. Insulating the box this will set in, with a light and heaters and pumps, should keep it warm enough.

any opinion on which tank to go with?

LowCel

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 10, 2006
Charleston, WV
As for the tank are you planning on going with sand or gravel for a substrate? The reason I ask is that acrylic scratches easier than glass. That normally isn't a big deal but since your tank is going to be somewhat shorter it will be easier for the scratches at the bottom of the tank to catch your attention.

Personally though, I would go with the glass with the starfire front. Weight isn't much of an issue since it is "only" about 100 gallons. Two people should be able to carry it pretty easily. For a very large tank I can see the advantage with the acryllic as far as carrying it.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
So you are going through all the trouble of drilling holes in the floor just to use a 20 gal sump?

Also since your sump is so far below the tank won't the water from the pipes need space to empty into the sump... which will mean your sump will have to be kept lower than normal (since your pipes are longer than normal)?

Forgive me if this has been addressed previously...

I see 55 gal tanks being sold very inexpensively on craigls list all the time, I don't see why you wouldn't pick up one of these...

While, as you know, I'm not one to promote masive amounts of Bio Media, I do see the added volume that a sump offers a considerable benefit. You could also use this extra space to make a refugium...

Have you concluded on how to set up your overflows? I know we talked about it in another thread but when skimming through this one I didn't see it...

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
yes , 55's that is something else i have not had any luck finding in my area. I was kinda going off some of your thoughts on this one, at least i thought, LOL. If the little aquatech on my small tank has kept it runnig for all these years, it doesnt have hardly any water in it.Just two small blue pads, a bit of charcoal, and two course sponges.

I figure 5 gal bio balls 5 gal scrubbies, and heavy filteration on top, I should have a good filter, a giant version of my HOB kinda.

Not much good with plants. And i hope to not have to go down to the filter area a lot. If this tank doesnt work i will continue to look for bigger. upgrades will be thought of in build. I will only do algea scrubber to see it in action, I will probably take it off.

not sure what you mean?? What i am reading says "my sump is low, so it will have to be lower" please explain I am a bit slow on this stuff.

Also since your sump is so far below the tank won't the water from the pipes need space to empty into the sump... which will mean your sump will have to be kept lower than normal (since your pipes are longer than normal)?

The larger overflows willbe valved tocontrol the flow. Its not really so far. I figured this weekend about 6 feet from bottom of set/dry tank to top of aquarium. My cabinet is very low, and i will put sump tank as close as i can but still have room for bigger sump later and to tand to the sump.

It will actually be kinda nice, because my sump top will be at head level, as i have about 6' of headspace under aquarium.

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
do you mean that i will have low water level in the pump area? I wil check back later got to go to work for a few hours.

thanks everyone

ps pea gravel, good idea about sctratches, still thinkin about it, need to order soon.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I didn't realize you would have the sump raised well above the basement floor... which is a great idea...

not sure what you mean?? What i am reading says "my sump is low, so it will have to be lower" please explain I am a bit slow on this stuff.
Since your sump is farther below the tank than normal... your pipes will be longer... so more water will fall down into the sump when the pump is turned off... so you'll need more "empty psaec" in the sump when it is functioning, to allow this extra water when it's turned off...

But since your tank is quite lot to the ground... and your sump is raised well above the ground... this difference won't be as much as I originally thought...

I'm still a fan of using hte largest sump practical... so I'd keep looking for the 55 gal but use whatever you have until one becomes available... just make the shelf the sump sits on large enough for the upgrade...

Make sure you have adequate Mechanical Media before your Bio Media!!!

I see this detail bypassed way to often. And when you do physical waste breaks down and clogs the pores of Bio Media making it no more than an expensive marbel.

Personally, I would just use sponges of different densities in the sump and skip the bio balls all together.

I have two 30 gal tanks I'll be putting together soon using 29 gal tanks as sumps... The sumps will have high flow rates, overflows like we discussed nothing but sponges, quilt stuffing and fabric as media...

Redoog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2009
Boon, MI
yes i plan on using 18" of the 24 for filter media 12" wide. i will sew my own filters 2 layers of quit batting between 2 layers of felt. Sewn so it is concave a bit. Extras will be on hand, so i can just toss em out, throw a new one in. others i see are just useing a layer of batting. Iw ill see when i get the stuff to see how thick it is, i will make it as thick as i can.

Only using bio balls, because i have them, and i will have room for about as many scrubbies.

My sump will also have an overflow hooked into my sewer drain. i was going to make it 1.5", but this tank is allready drilled for 3/4" and it is just to let a trickle out to do a constant water change,, with my drip line. But it should also drain the sump when i turn off pump.

Also, i dont have a basement, so i dont have a floor, so nothing to harm except the shelf for the sump.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store