MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
So I guess I am on my first official hunger strike.... As of yesterday I am determined to get this fish on pellets, so as of right now he is choosing not eating over pellets. I guess now it is a game of resolve. I hope my hard headed little arowana will give in soon. I am planning on sticking to my guns for at least a week. At what point should I give up?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
Ok so I guess my resolve wasn't there for the starvation...he currently will only eat freeze dried jumbo krill, crickets and guppies(quarantined and 1 dose of polyguard just to be sure). He has refused : food sticks
Bloodworm cubes
Brine shrimp cubes
Meal worms
Thawed krill

Anyone have any suggestions ?
I swear this thing is pickier than my 6 year old daughter

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Youve only had it nine days not near long enough to have even properly QT'd live feeder fish. Gonna take more then three days to get it on pellets. Dont feed it anything but pellets offered once a day, within a couple weeks it'll gladly be eating pellets. You can then add the variety of other foods to his diet.

johnnytaboo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
MD, DC, VA
My current silver doesn't like meal worms either. When he was small, I had him exclusively on floating Hikari food sticks, but now that he's in the big boy tank with my other large fish, he's on shrimp and tilapia. I typically stuff a stick of food into his food before feeding. I've done the same thing with my catfish for years.

Sounds like you are going above and beyond though, so just keep doing what you're doing. Eventually, silvers grow into giant beasts that will eat just about anything you present them with. Do you drop the food in the same spot every night? I don't know if it's a good idea or now, but that's what I do. The fish in my tanks know where I'm heading and what it means. When you catch an aro when he's hungry, you could drop in just about anything as the first piece of food and they'll take it. My first silver was so eager he tried to take the food from my hand before I'd dropped it.

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
So rescaping day was a disaster !
Had to pull off canopy and tops to insert huge piece of driftwood .... You can see where this is going ....
One high flying and even further falling to the floor arowana and the scape was complete. A few scales was the cost of his temporary freedom but he is doing ok now. Pictures to follow when water settles

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
Small update, I now feed a few pellets first , once they are completely consumed then and only then does he get a little of the various foods. He is becoming less skiddish everyday. ( my house is very active with two young children). He has added a inch already in less than a month! I love it. I can't wait for him to get big enough to justify a larger tank to the wife. She has already approved this step for when it is needed. Water changes have been between 50-60% we very week. He accepts crickets frozen that is the new sop with them. He ignores his tank mates.
There is something about the grace in their movements that keeps me watching. I find my self spending more time staring at this tank than any other. I have always been a less is more person when it comes to feeding but this guy definetly gets the lions share of food. I am looking forward to watching him grow. Thank you everybody for helping me get to this point.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store