First time for me: Convict cichlids spawned

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Just wow....I'm still in awe of their breeding habits. I brought my first convicts a month ago and put them in a 10gal as a guarantee. The pair is barely 2" and they spawned today. Looks like over 30-40 eggs from what I can see. I do nothing to encourage them to spawning and I didn't even feed them good quality fish food. Just add water and you'll get them to spawn. Pink convicts are first cichlids for me to breeding. I think I'll let them to take care of their fry since I don't want to be overrun of convict fry.

Reactions: lekkiandgas

Warborg

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2009
Austin, Texas
Yea, convicts are easy to spawn. I had a pair do it 26 times before I got rid of them. Sometimes they would eat their own fry.

Southjerseycichlidz

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2015
I have about 500 convict babies right now lol the spawn and spawn and spawn again so I just grow them out to quarter size and sell them to my lfs for .50 cents each not bad

Creative Genius

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2015
I had a couple in a previous 110gal i had, within a year the fry took over the entire tank. Lol. Congrats! They're certainly fascinating specimens no doubt.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Finally wrigglers! And a very good number of them! Now I understand why many people preferred convicts over guppies for raising feeders.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Finally wrigglers! And a very good number of them! Now I understand why many people preferred convicts over guppies for raising feeders.
lol still got that walleye rebel? He'd appreciate chasing some of those fry around as a snack.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Sold the walleye to someone with 300gal last spring. Plenty of mudminnows and larger gambusias tho.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store