First time for me: Convict cichlids spawned

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
The wrigglers became free swimming fry today and looks like 50-60 fry easily. And the parents are barely 2".... I think I have came to my conclusion that convicts are highly prolific and faster breeders than guppies and mollies. No contest at all.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Yup, I'm currently raising central mudminnows right now. Got them on pellets and I hasn't fed them live foods for 9 months. No worries they'll expecting some live foods soon but with the tank being heavily plant, I might be concerned that survivors might take over the tank and popping out more convicts.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Here is the pic of the parents and their batch. Sorry for the glass being dirty.

IMG_20151006_140708712.jpg

Reactions: convict360

MRE

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2008
Parrish, FL
Convicts definitely breed like crazy. It is really cool to see at first. Eventually you end up with more than you know what to do with. Definitely cool if your lfs will give you money for them. Mine never would. I found they don't make the best feeders though because inevitably one or two will survive and take over the new tank with babies. They fiercely defend their babies even against fish ten times their size. They are super hardy and have serious personality. Enjoy.

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Got another batch of eggs from the same pair tonight and the first batch is still in same tank.....crazy. Male is taking care of eggs while the mother is with the fry.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store