Fish Food Analysis

Status
Not open for further replies.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I can certainly understand one not being able to get the label info first hand for every last food that one reviews, but having said that, if that's the route one is going they really ought to make damn certain as to what they are stating. Things such as " 2. They generally include Ethoxyquin on the label".

Are you certain of that? I'm guessing not so much. Is it possible that someone out there has some old outdated labels on a container, sure, but I haven't seen E listed on a label in years. Keep in mind that for close to a decade I unloaded tons upon tons of cases of almost every formula & size made by New Life, and still have over a dozen containers here on hand, various formulas, and various sizes, from 125 grams to 5lb pails. Not a single container shows ethoxyquin on the label. Hmmmmm. As already stated to you time & time again, online vendors often post old outdated information with regards to ingredients etc as most can't be bothered having their webmaster/designer updating their website every time that some manufacturer makes a change or two or three. Not to mention the cost of those continuous tweaks. I constantly see old information regarding various foods, and NLS is no exception. Part of that is certainly their (New Life's) fault from the use of old outdated labels for many years (to lower production costs), but the rest falls on the retail vendors who don't keep things current at their end. If they sell the food, they sure as hell know what's on each label.

But getting back to my original point, the fact is, in the case of NLS: They generally DO NOT include Ethoxyquin on the label. The exact opposite of what you just stated.

Also, if you recall from that last discussion on the subject of ethoxyquin, which I linked to in my previous post, I discussed how even natural color enhancers such as Naturose astaxanthin (a micro-algae) can be preserved with ethoxyquin. So how on earth can you possibly know what each & every fish food contains with regards to preservatives, let alone the levels of any of those preservatives that a food may or may not contain? There is no assumption on my part when I state with 100% certainty that you have no idea whatsoever. Even for myself, while it might be based on an educated guess, it would still be pure speculation on my part - at this point, even regarding NLS.

You say that you are filling a void with information that does not exist for fish food, I disagree. IMO you are doing a great disservice to the entire hobby by making assumptions based on facts that do not exist, and promoting certain ingredients as being toxic, when the reality is the same could be said about various vitamins and minerals. That type of misinformation does not benefit the fishkeeping hobby.

kmuda

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Fort Smith Arkanasas
Please show me where Vitamin C has a negative physiological affect at the maximum allowable dosage and I will call out Vitamin C supplementation as a potential issue. The documentation does exist demonstrating a negative physiological effect of ethoxyquin on fish (tilapia, I believe) at the maximum allowable dosage.

Where that documentation exists, I call it out, as I do for Synthetic Vitamin K.

But again, I have no intention of rehashing that argument. Your points are well defined in the link you provided previously and mine are defined in the lead in Fish Food Ingredients article.

My policy is that if I cannot locate or get a statement from the manufacturer that Ethoxyquin (and other preservatives) is not used in the manufacturing phase or as a sub component of the pre-manufacture primary ingredients, then I will not identify that food as Ethoxyquin free. In my mind "Ethoxyquin free" does not indicate 100% free of ethoxyquin. Some trace measure of Ethoxyquin will be found in most foods. I just want to see it at the trace level, not at a "viable" level.

In the future, if you wish to continue to bash the ratings I've arrived at, that's fine....As if you needed my OK. :lol: Out of over 100 reviews i would hazard a guess that the number of ratings we disagree on is a small percentage involving a couple of the Hikari products and the NLS products.

I would request you not do so in a manner that discredits the initial purpose of the lead in article, which I believe, excluding the Ethoxyquin issue, details issues and concerns that both of us have with the use of starches and non-preferred, non-digestable proteins.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am curios why the call out RD? you have been there so know who I am, why the call out? here on MFK and not at the site, makes no sense to me, if you have issues with a fish site why not take them up there? makes it look like a smear campaign for no good reason. you are not a mod, or an advisory or an admin, just asking why slam Oscarfish.com. and Kmuda? Makes no since to me. We are just trieing to help fish keepers be better fish keepers. that,s it? why the slam here?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
There is no maximum allowable dosage for vitamin C, or any other vitamin or mineral used in tropical fish food. Are there vitamins that at high enough levels can be toxic to a fish? Absolutely, and not just tilapia. And the documentation that you called out, got shot down in a blaze of glory as I recall. :)

Pops, I don't know who you are, or for that matter care. Don't take that personal, I'm just sayin. I don't answer to you or anyone else here other than the site admin/mods, who I seriously doubt would feel that I called anyone out. I simply voiced my opinion about someone elses opinion. I'm not big on misinformation, especially when it comes to fish nutrition, a subject that I hold near and dear, and I would hate to have people reading some of that misinformation and assuming it is based on fact, when it is not. Seeing as the link was posted here, in this thread on MFK, it would seem the logical thing to do would be to answer it here. I'm not a member of kmudas site, and no intention of being one. Nothing personal, but I prefer MFK for thought provoking fish related conversations. :)

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Understood, 26 year roofer here, could be interesting. That being said, and no offence meant, why not criticize on site where the information is coming from? guess that my big question.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
its damm easy to walk to another bar and criticize the folks at the other bar, why not do that at the bar you criticizing, you may enlighten, I am always game for that, I am not stupid but may be ignorant, ignorance is curable, its a lack of knowledge and not an insult., stupid is not.

Brazzen1

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2013
Chickasaw Nation
Wow,where's the popcorn.:popcorn: Seriously, I did find the article informative and based on it I decided on NLS, after asking around and because some of the foods are not offered at my lfs. One question that I do have for RD is, where is the proof that Kmuda's article is completely false. It very well may be but without proof as a rebuttal how can we know? I to have had over 30 years experience, most of it trial and error but if it wasn't for the internet then I would not have gained the knowledge that I have from MFK's contributors, you included. All I ask is just provide proof as a rebuttal or at the very least point some of us that aren't scientists in the right direction to get independent analyses on this issue. We all know that a company's spokesperson is the last one that's going to give an honest answer, hell I work for Petco and my GM thinks ich is a genetic disorder. Thanks.

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
I am up for the internet, if not for it most of us be keeping gold fish, mollys, tetras and betas with a few cardinals thrown in, and then wondering why I just cleaned the filter in the sink and my water cloudy and fish dying.

kmuda

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 16, 2006
Fort Smith Arkanasas
Question for RD.....

From questioning my members, I am seeing three different "basic formula's" listed on the labels of NLS products purchased within the last year. I would like to know which of these is considered the "correct" (most current) formula. I assume it's the one without Soybean Isolate and an expiration date. (Formula 3).

FORUMLA #1: No Expiration Date
Ingredients: Krill, Herring, Wheat Flour, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate Fish Oil, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vitamin A acetate, D-Activated Animal- Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrichloride, Thiamine, Biotin, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), DL Alphatocopherol (E), DL Choline Chloride, Cobalt Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide, Ethoxyquin

FORMULA #2: No expiration Date
Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Algae Meal, Soybean Isolate, Beta Carotine, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Red & Green Cabbage, Pea, Brocoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Kiwi, Apricot, Pear, Mango, Apple, Papaya, Peach), Vitamin A Acetate, DL Alphatocopherol (E), D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), 12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin Thiamine, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrichloride, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide

FORMULA #3: Expiration Date, two years from date of (assumed) manufacture
Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Algae Meal, Beta Carotine, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and Fruit Extract (Spinach, Red & Green Cabbage, Pea, Brocoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Kiwi, Apricot, Pear, Mango, Apple, Papaya, Peach), Vitamin A Acetate, DL Alphatocopherol (E), D-Activated Animal Sterol (D3), 12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin Thiamine, Riboflavin Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrichloride, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate (Stable C), Choline Chloride, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Ethylenediamine Dihydroiodide
I am willing to concede, even absent confirmation from the manufacturer, that NLS products stamped with an expiration may only contain trace elements of Ethoxyquin, enough so to declare them "Ethoxyquin free". My question is the labeling. Would it be correct to assume that a current ingredient label containing "Soybean Isolate" with an expiration date would be an example of the older labels being used on newer product (current formula) and that products labeled with "Soybean Isolate" (and potentially Ethoxyquin) and NO expiration date are examples of old stock remaining on the shelves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store