Fishkeeping hobbyist stereotypes you encounter when people learn of your hobby?

dan518

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2014
uk
I just tell them I have a pet fish, and say its like a wet dog. I don't tell them its like a wolf with a chilly stuck up its arse.

Taker

Banned
Aug 6, 2005
Earth
I didn't know there is such a negative view towards fish keeping until I read this thread. What's so weird about aquariums? What if you were a celebrity with sharks or big monster fish and tanks at home is that weird too? Shallow sloots are lame and judgmental as hell.

To me that's how I decide if that girl is worth spending time with. But I'm married and my wife even funded my hobby and named my fishes. And she's got real awesome personality.

Don't feel bad, guys. She's not the one to measure your value and decide if you are worth it. It should be the other way around. Never feel insecure.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I couldn't care less what anybody thinks. If it comes up I'll talk about.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I couldn't care less what anybody thinks. If it comes up I'll talk about.
+1
And there is much much more weird hobbys out there compared to fish keeping.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oscarum monstruoso

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 3, 2010
Well, we all have different attitudes towards other people's view of us, and I dont generally care what people think, but once in a while I meet someone and I do care what they think of me and Im concluding that its best to withold fishkeeping info at leas till that person gets to know that you or I are hopefully not the losers our hobby stereotypes us as.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
I know what you mean. I just never thought of fishkeeping as weird.

Runninamok

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2008
NY
Never thought I turned anyone off or made a negative impression on any women. In fact anytime anyone ever comes in my home they are drawn to it. Its a centerpiece. I always get... "Wow, is that Saltwater?"

Now if you are all "Tanked-up" then that could get a little weird.

S4Detroit

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2015
Detroit,Mi
I don't care if people like my tanks or my fish or if they even like me. I think people without a hobby are weird. Hell my wife don't have a hobby except for nagging at me about my hobbies. I like having fish and if people have a problem with that and want to judge me they can go to hell. The only crazy looks I get from people is when I say I have spent $500+ on a single fish before. :screwy:

davenmandy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2012
Wow really? Any chick that walks into my house LOVES the tank. Instant convo starter. Dudes could kinda care less, most give it a 30-1min look and then start chilling out. I haven't met 1 chick that didn't go on and on about the tank. I personally want to hide my hobby from other fish keepers , that's a lot more stressful, not an instant connection for me.

Sent from my SM-T320 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mudbuttjones

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2014
Wisconsin
Most people think it's cool. But then again I'm a certified beast who exudes confidence. I've got nothing to prove. I'm married, I have an offspring, I just don't really care if people were impressed or not. I guess fish keeping isn't necessarily popular around here, so there's no real stereotypes. Most of my friends at work are "good ol boys" and are sportsman, namely fishermen, and actually have an appreciation for all things fish ironically.

As a single man the aquariums were definitely a hit at the bachelor pad. Most (drunk) people (girls) thought they were really cool, like you needed to be an affluent ineresting person or something to own a larger aquarium... hey have you seen the water stains on the ceiling and holes in the carpet? Haha

Sent from my SCH-R950 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store