Flagtail Prochilodus Growth?

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
hey everyone I just picked up 2 3" Flagtail Prochilodus' today and I was wondering how fast they will grow if given all the right conditions? I have a 8" silver aor and a 7" royal clown knife and I don't want them to become lunch. Any help would be great

fisy66

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
w3arB3aR said:
if given th right diet..
they grow fast.. it can easily grow to 7" in 4 months
feed it lots of plant matter and algae..
:) I have had one of these guys in an 8ft community tank for 7 years. He is close to 18 inches and is as tough as old boots. He only gets a wide variety of dry food and the odd batch of live black worms, but he is healthy and magnificent looking!

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
fisy66 said:
:) I have had one of these guys in an 8ft community tank for 7 years. He is close to 18 inches and is as tough as old boots. He only gets a wide variety of dry food and the odd batch of live black worms, but he is healthy and magnificent looking!
You have a very large one :thumbsup:
Dodgefreak, your fish should be safe even if the flagtail outgraws them, them are primarily vegetarians though they will eat small worms, etc. there are veggie based foods available ond you can supplement it's diet with nori (not the smoked kind), spirolina, boiled greens like spinach or mustard (drain them first), or bruised limp lettuce (not iceberg). I have never kept these but other plant eating fish respond well to it.

IoStrisciare

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 9, 2005
A Watery Grave
dodgefreak8 said:
hey everyone I just picked up 2 3" Flagtail Prochilodus' today and I was wondering how fast they will grow if given all the right conditions? I have a 8" silver aor and a 7" royal clown knife and I don't want them to become lunch. Any help would be great
they're gowth rate is kinda slow... however they can be trained to take meaty foods... and tend to grow faster on that obviously. But not a fish for the impatient hobbyist as their growth rate is not tt fantastic...

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
thanks everyone,
I hope they keep up with my aro and knife. they are algea eating machines. they are cleaning out my brown algea faster than it can grow.. these are realy neat fish.. thanks again for all the input.

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Got pics, dodgefreak8? Would be nice!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store