MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
So these are the channel and larger flathead. They are both about 3". The smaller flathead is a bit more shy and about 2". They are the only fish I have in my 40 breeder and I don't plan for them to be there too long. I will be moving them to my 300 gallon pond after I get them a little size and make sure they are healthy. Once they get a about 10" I will be moving them to a pond that I'm working on that will be about 5500 gallons. I am noticing that the little flathead is showing signs of being picked on. I'm guessing at the hands of the larger flathead. I didn't anticipate such aggression while they are so small. Does anyone know if two flatheads will get along in 5500 gallon pond? Or should I give up on having two and find a new home for one of them? The channel cat gets along just fine so far with the flatheads.

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Here are the 2 flatheads I have.( idk why I thought one was a bullhead, turns out it's a flatty) they are doing well in the 450 ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1407440416.890377.jpgImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1407440427.173345.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BHARDON24

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2013
Nj
They're going to get huge and need a massive pond all by themselves. They're cool as juvis but think realistically. Try bullhead- small species can live out their lives in a 40B. Good luck!

SePPii

Dovii
MFK Member
May 21, 2011
Chesapeake, OH
Well they are in a 6'x4'x30" tank and I know a few guys with ponds

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

PUHUCBLMX2

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2013
Costa Rica
Any thoughts on putting a couple dozen blue gill in the 5500g? They would be able to provide food for your flathead, and a couple dozen might be able to reach self sustainability levels.

Side note: Whats wrong with Madtoms? They should be great for your 40g.

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
Any thoughts on putting a couple dozen blue gill in the 5500g? They would be able to provide food for your flathead, and a couple dozen might be able to reach self sustainability levels.

Side note: Whats wrong with Madtoms? They should be great for your 40g.
One thing I'm hoping to do is get the flatheads off of live food. If I can't manage that then I like your idea, but wouldn't the flatheads just eat the adult bluegill at some point? I'm also hoping to get a longnose gar in there as well.

Regarding the madtoms, I eventually would like the 40 breeder to be an amazon community tank. I don't want to do madtoms in the ponds, because they stay so small I would never see them and they would get eaten.

crappiekeeper

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2012
The land of the pine
Flathead catfish are carnivorous. They are not going to eat prepared food. Period. No discussion. That's just the way the species Is. If you keep the flathead in the koi pond they will outgrow the koi and other catfish and they WILL EAT THEM. Again, that's just how they are. You will not ween flatheads on to pellets or blueberries or anything like that. Live or maybe maybe maybe cut fish will be just about all they will eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store