Flathead Catfish Questions

Zeke

Banned
Jan 29, 2014
chattavegas
Flathead catfish , the ones I have kept anyway are extremely aggressive and territorial to say the least. I have gotten them to eat market shrimp , but they really want live fish. They really like to eat bullhead catfish for some reason. In my opinion , they are one of the nastiest catfish around. I place them in the same nasty attitude category as the Black Devil/Crystal Eye catfish . Good luck with them. I've had plenty.

jakessvx1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Midlothian VA
Yeah, I agree. My larger one (3.5") tried to eat the smaller one (2.5") and in the process killed him. I didn't think there was any way he could fit I his mouth, and he couldn't, but the larger one took him in tail first as far as he would go. I found them like that and scared the larger one. He let the smaller go and he swam off. I thought he would be okay, but he stiffened up and died the next morning. So now I just have the larger one and he is mean. I see guys with them and they just seem to hang out with the other catfish, but not mine he hates everybody. I hope he mellows as he ages and lives in captivity. Not holding my breath on that either.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MDFishTanks

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2013
MD
That is true. Mine is about 16lbs and he lives with some other channels that are about 5lbs and then several sunfish, yellow perch and white perch and I can tell he's been picking off the bullheads. The good thing is that I can catch them so fast and they are extremely plentiful in a local pond as a food source for the flathead and I use them for bait.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
like everyone else says, they are ambush predators, live fish will be their first choice. They'll take prepped foods but once they get big enough to tackle a tank or pondmate they will.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store