Flower Ray issue... AGAIN

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
Just odd to hear a flower eating bloodworms and krill as these are foods they normally eat later in life after being captive for awhile. My guess would be he was really not eating but just chewing. Your best bet at this point is get meds out and offer ghost shrimp. I have brought lots of rays in from the wild and it was very rare to find one skinny or not that would refuse a ghost shrimp. Load up the tank with about 3 dozen and see what happens. The last batch of flowers I had would not touch black worms but tore some ghost shrimp up. Get him eating then try to convert it over to chopped night crawler.
I do not know how long he has been captive.. but I do know that he was eating them because once he hovered over it, and made the eating motion rays make, he would move away, and there would be nothing there. When he was eating, he would eat about 8 pieces of krill at a time, and then he would not eat for another day or so.

I will try to find ghost shrimp.. there is only one place 45 minutes away, and they never have them in. I will be calling them to make sure they are in and can be held for me.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
The disk shredding still throws me off, something has to be causing it. Not eating or prazi are not causing the disk problem which is almost certainly why he is not eating. You just need to find the root cause and hope it is not too late

I hope he pulls through for you, I know you are doing your best for him.
I thought maybe another fish had bit him or something, but the only bite on his disc is one that is healing from when the prev owner had him.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
If he is as skinny as you say the disk edge can actually be eroding away. If you can't find any ghost shrimp order some next day

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
It can erode in 2 hours?

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
flowers discs are thin very thin ,i think fishdog thinks maybe the sand is doing it to the disc.also fishdog i have had a henlei eat krill first? very starnge i know cause he wont even eat krill now,but all rays are different.

move that ray into the 110 alone no other fish at all so you know it eats.get black worms and any live stuff you can find,ghost shrimp might be to big! try snails, any type of worm too at bait shops,they sell small ones also.sometimes it takes those rays 30 plus minutes to get motivated to pounce on foods.this is why its so important its alone.put a worm right on the front of its disc and leave it sit in the dark for a bit.u can use tongs and hold it their too but if the ray gets spooked dont hold the tongs their just let the food go and watch,you will know what i mean

you need live black worms asap or live small worms

alot of responses on hear so quickly leads to panic in my experiences.take it easy that ray will do ok it did eat so chill out.it will again.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
if you keep that ray stress free and the water perfect it wont die for weeks or months even without food

Gbusiness

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2010
IL
Sorry to hear that your having problems with your flower. Have you tried to feed him red worms? My male flower wouldn't eat much at first, someday's he wouldn't eat at all. I just kept on dropping worms on his head till he eventually took one, then two and more,lol. I would keep trying to feed him a variety of things. I don't know for sure but I'm guessing rays won't starve themselves to death?
Before buying the flower did u ask for a feeding video from the seller? I would have made sure the flower was eating before buying.

mshill90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2009
Mechanicsburg, PA
I didn't ask for a video, but I will tell you that he looked much worse than the pictures the seller on here posted.

I didn't spend too much, so I am not out a lot if by chance he doesn't make it.

We will be moving it to the 110 tonight, so he will be alone, but he looks a lot better today, and the fraying seems to be not as bad today.

He is eating bloodworms and mysis shrimp through his spiracles, but not much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store