Force feeding big ray

northrebel

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
london
2 weeks isn't long I agree but I believe she wasn't feeding enough during the pregnancy and she is looking very bad. I have tried all foods I can think off except live fish which I will not offer. She is divided and has been for over a week and her hip bones are now visible I don't take this action lightly as the stress caused to her could make the situation worse but I honestly feel if I don't act now it will be to late

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
2 weeks isn't long I agree but I believe she wasn't feeding enough during the pregnancy and she is looking very bad. I have tried all foods I can think off except live fish which I will not offer. She is divided and has been for over a week and her hip bones are now visible I don't take this action lightly as the stress caused to her could make the situation worse but I honestly feel if I don't act now it will be to late

Oh. You dodnt mention hip bones.
Thats quite a rapid decline.
Keep us updated

aquaman45

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2009
England
If you force feed this ray it will be the beginning of the end, she will probably die within a couple of days, the stress of such an operation will be too traumatic, patience is the key.Many newly imported Potamotrygon arrive from South America with exposed hip bones and showing signs of the mantle becoming concave, do we force feed them? of course not!
My advise would be to keep her in a partition, treat the tank with Flukesolve, this is the brand name (basically Prazi) but doesn't require an 80% water change like other meds, this will eradicate any internal parasites such as flukes that multiply rapidly on and within any fish that is suffering times of stress like your female P14, just because other rays are showing no signs of problems within the same body of water means nothing. Switch the UV off during treament. If you haven't already done it then turn the temp up to 28 dec C, it would be a good idea to darken the area partitioned off by sliding something under the light, darkness will help during this time.

My guess is this ray is less active than normal?

All you need to do now is wait, forget the two weeks its nothing like already stated, your right in thinking that the reason she has declined so fast is because she wasn't feeding correctly during gestation, as we all know our girls appetite increases significantly when there are pups growing in the womb. So I think it is fair to say that this ray became ill before the pups were born not after, the stress from giving birth has just taken her over the edge.

Be patient, the first sign of recovery will be when she becomes more mobile, feeding should follow soon after that.

Obviously she could still die, but in my mind the above action will give her the best possible chance.

All the best.

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
I agree with your asking for more trouble with this idea, why not offer live food? I mean really? So what about the risks involved, they are very minimal, can it get worse not to much by the sounds of it, but you think force feeding a ray will be easy? Ya right, and that can lead to more problems. Throw some darn fish in there and let her have at them, turn the lights off so they settle to the bottom and let her go at them and eat, if she does not after a few days then you know its probably the end anyways and everything has been tried and time to take more action. Live food is not all bad at all, really!!!!!!!! What meds have you tried?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Best wishes. Not fun to hear about

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Keister

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2012
Hummelstown, Pennsylvania
I would have to say I agree with Kevin on this one. Throw some live in there and just let her have at them. If you think about it what else do you have to lose? The ray seems to be coming to an end and it needs to eat. You may not have enough time for it to get through a treatment. The ray needs to eat something and if it were me I would dump live in there and deal with potential parasite issues after she has gained some weight and is eating regularly... This isn't a cheap ray so I would certainly be offering anything and everything it would want to eat...

rayrayray

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
uk
if you are useing flukesovle Gregg,add very slowly to the water,if she is in heavy stress stage and done fast just the change in water could push her over.

northrebel

Candiru
MFK Member
May 20, 2012
london
I treated the whole tank on Saturday night with fluke solve and It done the trick.The female started eating again this morning she has a long way to go to get back to her old self but it's a start. Thanks everyone for your input much appreciated.

MHDevelopments

Polypterus
MFK Member
May 13, 2014
Suffolk
www.m-h-developments.co.uk
I treated the whole tank on Saturday night with fluke solve and It done the trick.The female started eating again this morning she has a long way to go to get back to her old self but it's a start. Thanks everyone for your input much appreciated.

That's fantastic news mate, really chuffed for you. No more sleepless nights then for you hopefully 👍

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store