fowlr

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
canisters are fine but need to be watched over. I would also suggest testing the water often as well just so to prevent any major nitrate spikes.

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
princess;1680163; said:
you don't know what the fx5 is where has thou been?!?! lol

and i've never heard of a dwark lion..... are they a new breed niko huh? ;)

today when i got my fishy i was a dwarf lion and a maroon clownfish in a 100gallon tank they looked like a nice pair!
LOL...i never said i dont know what one is, i said i dont know the specifics of this filter.... :silly:

Princess, darlin, how can you pick me up for spelling mistakes?.....dang.....your gonna get it....i promise.....

welsher7

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Fort Wayne, IN
What are the dimensions of the tank? dwarf lions are great but some have a hard time accepting frozen and other types of food. Make sure the one you purchase is eating at the lfs. And although you don't need a protein skimmer your tank won't demand as much of your time if you have one. you could place liverock rubble in the center baskets of the fx5 and that would make it more suited for sw. for stocking I wouldn't suggest any fish that are known to be aggressive. lionfish in most cases aren't aggressive they are just like oscars and eat whatever fits in their mouth. I would stay away from any of the larger clowns, most triggers, angels, and fish eating eels.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
sweeTang21;1680327; said:
canisters are fine but need to be watched over. I would also suggest testing the water often as well just so to prevent any major nitrate spikes.
testing is not an issue, id just buy a new kit ditch my old one and can test whenever i need too.
when you say watched over what do you mean, also what sort of average cleaning schedule are we talking about for canister use and what sort of water changing schedule would be required.

welsher7;1682403; said:
What are the dimensions of the tank? dwarf lions are great but some have a hard time accepting frozen and other types of food. Make sure the one you purchase is eating at the lfs. And although you don't need a protein skimmer your tank won't demand as much of your time if you have one. you could place liverock rubble in the center baskets of the fx5 and that would make it more suited for sw. for stocking I wouldn't suggest any fish that are known to be aggressive. lionfish in most cases aren't aggressive they are just like oscars and eat whatever fits in their mouth. I would stay away from any of the larger clowns, most triggers, angels, and fish eating eels.

the tank is 32''Lx32''Wx24''H.
i would get a lion that is already eating as i usually do with any fish i buy.
the set up i am using is very limited due to how i had it made and where it is fitted, to get a sump and skimmer now would be too much of a pain and i can not fit a rear tank mounted skimmer due to the same reasons.
as for fish i would get fish around the same size so they wont eat each other, i just dont know what is compatible and how large they grow too so basically i am clueless.
thanks for the info so far everyone but keep it coming.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
when i say watched over i mean cleaning and testing water. Cansiters if left alone will produce nitate by the barrels lol. Cleaning the mechanical media to get the debris that it collects is the reason for cleaning so often. Using carbon and phosban or anything of the sorts for chemical is fine. LR rubble is great to but just make sure that it does not get trapped with debris or it will become no different then mechanical floss lol.

As far as tank mates i have seen alot of larger wrasses, about 5-6 inches minimum, butterflys, eels, smaller groupers, hogfish, maroon clown fish, larger damsels.

Tangs could be done, but with the base size of your tank, i would not suggest such an active fish.

Im sure theres more fish that could be kept, but im drawing some blanks right now lol.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
sweeTang21;1682860; said:
when i say watched over i mean cleaning and testing water. Cansiters if left alone will produce nitate by the barrels lol. Cleaning the mechanical media to get the debris that it collects is the reason for cleaning so often. Using carbon and phosban or anything of the sorts for chemical is fine. LR rubble is great to but just make sure that it does not get trapped with debris or it will become no different then mechanical floss lol.

As far as tank mates i have seen alot of larger wrasses, about 5-6 inches minimum, butterflys, eels, smaller groupers, hogfish, maroon clown fish, larger damsels.

Tangs could be done, but with the base size of your tank, i would not suggest such an active fish.

Im sure theres more fish that could be kept, but im drawing some blanks right now lol.

my maintenance is never an issue i would just test,test and test to guage the schedule needed at first, ive kept many delicate FW fish with no problems and like to test, im a bit sad like that really and even change water on a tank that had 8 fish and now it only has 1.
i think i will go with live rock in the canister and monitor it each week but not fill the baskets, i will use quite a bit in the tank though.
as for fish i think i will start another thread when the time comes to add them, i will get the set up sorted first.
thanks

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
no prob. Sounds like you have a rock solid plan and thats good. Im anxious to see and hear the progress on the tank.

DiXoN

English MFKer
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2004
Sunderland, England
sweeTang21;1686238; said:
no prob. Sounds like you have a rock solid plan and thats good. Im anxious to see and hear the progress on the tank.

so am i, thanks for the info so far.
i may have a solution for a skimmer.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store