Fresh to Salt without changing the water???

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
TheCanuck;4326976; said:
what about your protien skimmer and filtration? you cant just fill a pool up with saltwater
i figure he'll change his mind when he sees how much it all costs as the salt seem to break his spunk and thats the cheap part...

BIG_ONE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2008
California
Aww c'mon don't steer him away from saltwater. Saltwater will be expensive, but in the long run it is worth it. Will cost a whole lot of money though, just prepare for that. :D

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
ok so no to batrays maybe someother stingray but i got this fooo!!!! ama have a badass filteration a 54gallon sump full of live rock, &live sand! aand then am going to have another pump that will just flow the water mind you all of these pumps am talking about are 2,000gallon gph. i just need marine salt. i decided not to get my new xbox and spend it on my fish. it was the hardest choice of my life. i just want to get the Marine Salt cheap. and for water changes i think ill do it 2twice a month? kill me if am wrong. ill take out 200gallons and then add 200gallons of salt back in witch will cost me 50.00 bucks each time but i dont mind spendin $$$. any tips/advise are welcomed:)

BlackShark11k

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
somewhere
have you calculated cost for equipment, substrate, LR, and lighting? also extra pond liner or it WILL leak after a year or a few... not a risk you want to take.

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
extra pond liner? and why would i need lighting its out doors. am going for cold water natives fish only. and am planning on havin g bare bottom but in my sump there will be plenty of live sand and rock.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
Zfishies;4326958; said:
anyone selling LOTS of marine salt? called up my LFS and they said $450 for that much salt i need:cry:
check craigslist, we have a guy in az who sells 150gal tubs for 15$ a piece in your case that would equal 7 tubs or 105$

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Zfishies;4327105; said:
ok so no to batrays maybe someother stingray but i got this fooo!!!! ama have a badass filteration a 54gallon sump full of live rock, &live sand! aand then am going to have another pump that will just flow the water mind you all of these pumps am talking about are 2,000gallon gph. i just need marine salt. i decided not to get my new xbox and spend it on my fish. it was the hardest choice of my life. i just want to get the Marine Salt cheap. and for water changes i think ill do it 2twice a month? kill me if am wrong. ill take out 200gallons and then add 200gallons of salt back in witch will cost me 50.00 bucks each time but i dont mind spendin $$$. any tips/advise are welcomed:)
Wow bro....

My tank is 360 gallons and i am pushing 9,000 gallons an hour. I also have a 120 gallon sump. With the equivalent of 2,000lbs of live rock.... Your 2000 gallons and hour and 50 gallon sump couldn't even come close to running my 360. Probably not even my 125.

Not everyone can buy an outdoor intex pool and fill it with water and call it a pond. Please you need to be realistic, and just stop. I hate discouraging but you have to be serious. This idea is absolutely ridiculous

A skimmer will be the cost of a cheap car.
Sand would be about a thousand
rock would be 2k
Filtration, plumbing and pumps 1.5k
Salt- 400
and 300 a month to run probably.

Its not going to happen.

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
BIG_ONE;4327069; said:
Aww c'mon don't steer him away from saltwater. Saltwater will be expensive, but in the long run it is worth it. Will cost a whole lot of money though, just prepare for that. :D
you obviously have no idea what your talking about.

He asked if he can add aquarium salt to make it salt water.....

TheCanuck

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
DALLAS TEXAS
Zfishies;4326899; said:
okay so drain it get the marine salt and add it ALL at once.... ohhh man this is gunna be a pain! and 2 batrays and a leopard shark and silver smoothhound shark will be ok in 2,000 gallons?
actually the pond would also be to small for the smoothhound and leopard sharks are illegal. They can reach 6ft and would need way more than 2k.

This idea is :eek::screwy::grinno:

have you ever owned a sw tank before?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
By the info given...you should consider starting with...I would say along the lines of a 50 gallon tank. For everything besides fish your going to spend at least 1 grand or 2.....trust me my 72 gallon is driving me insane! But still love the hobby ;D I'll probably post pics

Btw get the xbox.....I love mine. Mw2 all the way!!!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store