Fresh to Salt without changing the water???

shua71

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2009
Los Angeles
scalesandfins;4332762; said:
hey Z if you wanna take the risk go for it man. it your money. i just simply ask that you make sure you have everythin setup properly for at least a month or two before you add such amazing creatures. im not saying you will fail but just incase you do, it would be a shame to take those animals out if this world.
i hope thats what everyones concern is.... (i doubt some people tho)
Most people's concerns is that he doesn't have the money to full out do this and hes trying to accommodate for the lack of money by shrinking things such as halving the size of the pond. And despite what everybody says hes most likely gonna go through with the project and not have this work

sidneymysnake

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2008
Ft. Myers, FL
I love sharks too and eventually plan on getting some. Right now I am setting up my first SW tank. This just seems like a bad idea to me. IMO I would stick to keeping a tank for a while - at least a couple years. Instead of keeping your clowns for a few months then jumping into a project of this size, especially with this many experienced people telling you that it really shouldn't be done. I have seen the size of the pond go from 1,800g to like 600 something and now back to 1,800 according to your sig. Maybe you should hold off and do your research while getting some more experience under your belt with another small tank or something instead of a pond. Just my two cents :)

mamapuff

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Austin, Texas
I started with a 5 gallon, then a 20 gallon, and now a 58 gallon SW tank, amongst my much larger FW tanks, thank god FW is so much easier lol.The progress from each sw, cost a lot to upgrade to, and that wasn't going with the "best" equipment. Just my two cents, in no way a shark keeper, SW expert, or anything, not a rant but here goes. I don't have daddy's money at my disposal, sometimes I wish, but no. How much is your dad/ grandpa willing to invest in this venture. How big of a pond are you allowed to go. You do realize that going from a small pond to a bigger to a bigger, etc as these things grow, will take a fortune to upgrade. Let alone any failures in equipment along the way. Just because you get something that costs a lot, doesn't mean it won't fail and you need an emergency plan set up to keep running. I have read thru a lot of your posts and the questions that you ask are very inquisitive, yet very beginner. (again not bashing,please). IMO, which isn't much, but again my 0.02, the gallon-age of the pond isn't as important as the surface area is. Granted they can be ok in somewhat shallow waters, but a 10 foot long pond ain't sh** compared to what they are in a public aquarium, let alone the wild. They can't be constantly turning around. It's like pacing your bedroom. If you go 10x7x3.5 its 1832 gallons, only if you dig a complete rectangle. I don't see how a shark can happily live in a space that small. They aren't like our little FW "sharks" that "happily" swim to and fro in a tank ( aka Rainbow, ID for a short while, etc). Maybe as a pup, but as it grows, where are you going to put the next (much bigger) pond? Will your dad and grandpa give you all that money to start over for making a new pond and getting equipment that can handle that size that will be needed for that now much larger shark? You can't just section off the pond he's in and expand. It will collapse. Do you realize how much it will cost to feed it, or multiple its, someone can speak up on the actual price, just a thought. I just know my RTC is costly, and if you don't have a REAL job, you can't rely on someone else to keep fronting your costs. It will only last so long.

Otto_VonBacon

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2008
Montgomery TEXAS
scalesandfins;4332762; said:
hey Z if you wanna take the risk go for it man. it your money. i just simply ask that you make sure you have everythin setup properly for at least a month or two before you add such amazing creatures. im not saying you will fail but just incase you do, it would be a shame to take those animals out if this world.
i hope thats what everyones concern is.... (i doubt some people tho)
My concern is he's going to kill a shark or two because he jumped the gun and bit of more than he or his family can chew. You realize how expensive this is? I've spent around two grand on my 90 gallon in the past year or two. This thing is going to cost into the 10's of thousands in a few years. There's a reason why public aquariums cost hundred of thousands to millions of dollars. Costs in this hobby are exponential and going from a small tank to a pond this size is like going from a bike to a Ferrari without getting your drivers license. Somethings going to die eventually.

Just take it slow man, I would kill for a thousand gallon freshwater pond at your age. Just be patent and learn everything there is to learn about sharks and saltwater ponds, and the equipment you need for them. Trust me, you don't want to jump into this at the cost of the sharks lives. ESPECIALLY a leopard shark.

SkySouza

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2009
Santa Maria, Ca
just to bring this up again. MFK should have a fee to eliminate kids like this.

this thread is pointless garbage.

Slacker87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2009
Hernando, MS
I don't feel like searching through all of your post but don't you already have a few RTCs? You are seriously getting in way over your head you do not understand what is needed for a saltwater pond and even with help you cannot afford something like this. If it was easy more people would do it and trust me many people on here have more funds and experience in this field than you do. Please just stop before it becomes something you regret. IMO you should have gone with the xbox. You can't afford the pumps to get the water movement required and the cost of the maintenance is more than your xbox savings PER WEEK. Start small like the others have said.

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
wtf? why did you resurrect a month old thread to flame bait?

this issue I believe has been taken care of, no need to beat a dead horse.

Zfishies

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2010
Milky Way Galaxy,
SkySouza;4429231; said:
just to bring this up again. MFK should have a fee to eliminate kids like this.

this thread is pointless garbage.
I wouldn't mind paying a fee I wouldn't mind giving up Xbox Live witch is$60 a year for MFK
And I think alot of other kids to

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store