Friday 13th Sale, 12/13/2013 ! New and rare fish just in!

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
Going to add my 2 cents:
Clown loaches are my favorite aquarium fish. The bigger the better. 8" sizes are uncommon but attainable. However, in my 25yrs as a hobbyist, and 5 yrs on MFK I personally have NEVER seen clown loaches of 10"-12" offered. Those sizes are ridiculous, unreal, like dinosaurs. However, at my local Academy of Sciences Public Aquarium there exist this huge tank of clown loaches, from 6-14" and fat! If these were ever auctioned, they would easily command hundreds of $$!

With that understanding, Wes could sell these at practically any price, their sizes sell themselves. But, his prices are more than fair, and honestly we all should be grateful for him giving us an opportunity to purchase these that we could not obtain elsewhere. So.... I'm looking forward to my dinosaur delivered this week, to rule over my group of 20 sized from. 1.5"-7". Thank you Wes!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
Thanks for the nice words and support. Did you ever see the big ones at Capitol Aquarium? They had a group I'd say around 10-12" big, and they were over 20 years old. They were always labeled as not for sale.

Going to add my 2 cents:
Clown loaches are my favorite aquarium fish. The bigger the better. 8" sizes are uncommon but attainable. However, in my 25yrs as a hobbyist, and 5 yrs on MFK I personally have NEVER seen clown loaches of 10"-12" offered. Those sizes are ridiculous, unreal, like dinosaurs. However, at my local Academy of Sciences Public Aquarium there exist this huge tank of clown loaches, from 6-14" and fat! If these were ever auctioned, they would easily command hundreds of $$!

With that understanding, Wes could sell these at practically any price, their sizes sell themselves. But, his prices are more than fair, and honestly we all should be grateful for him giving us an opportunity to purchase these that we could not obtain elsewhere. So.... I'm looking forward to my dinosaur delivered this week, to rule over my group of 20 sized from. 1.5"-7". Thank you Wes!

888fish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2008
CA
Never been to that aquarium but heard about it. Good thing I don't have to raise loaches for 20 yrs to get a giant, just gotta wait a few more days! God, if I did I'd be over 50 yrs old!

aldiaz33

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
Bay Area
RIP Capitol Aquarium; they closed down a few years ago. Hugest fish store I've ever been to. I remember seeing those big loaches in their big 1,000G tank. And Moby Dick the Giant Gourami and Sherbert the Midas.

Fugupuff, where are you getting these huge loaches? IIRC, I read that they couldn't be taken from the wild if they were over 7". Are these coming from farms?

ChrisP75

Exodon
MFK Member
May 26, 2013
Sacramento
I miss Capitol aquarium. It partially sparked my interest in the hobby. To be honest I only remember Smud the electric eel, Moby, and Sherbert.

Those guys are huge, how long does it generally take for them to reach sizes like that?

Sent from my HTC One X using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

dcv92111

Exodon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2013
san diego
I got 5 of these jumbo clowns, they are 10-12". I did not buy them from rare fish, as it was awhile back. when I saw them I knew they were diamonds in the rough, it something you have to really see to appreciate, and if you grow them out you will definitely realize the value of these clowns. you can always say, "yeah I got some clown loaches, everyone got them and seen them, and know what they look like, but very few have seen their potential size, I still haven't. At the time of purchase I have no idea the market price on them, they were expensive, a little less than price here but not much. even without any way of appraising what people sell them for, because none at the time were for sale. I jumped at the opportunity and took all 5 in stock! Basically it gets down to time is worth money, instead of using diamonds as a metaphor as fugu suggest, i saw it more as to comics. if you are into comics you know that once a comic is in circulation, every year that goes by there is less of that comic in original pristine state around (rare). for examples, let say around 500,000 copies of X-Men #1 (yes Clowns are the popular!) on release date around 1962, after some 50 years later, some get lost, damaged or even destroyed, now you have 22 pristine copies, wouldn't that comic be worth a lot more than the 12 Cents it did new, like say $492,937.50 more? well mother nature and mankind too, has a way of making 500000 clown hatchlings go to 500 in just the first year, and every year after, it's declines in numbers due to disease, pollutions, predators, natural disaster, and careless aquarists. now 14 years later and there are merely 5 left of the original 500,000, and I got them! See? heck of a deal!! I basically bought 500,000 clowns loaches and 14 years!

fugupuff

M.A.N. Community Vendor
Community Vendor
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2005
Fish Heaven
You know how small the world is? I think the ones you bought were actually from Capitol aquarium. As a few years back, I remember they were posted up for sale at an Aquarium Society and I believe this is the same group of fish that ended up in your hands. Can you share pictures of yours and maybe we can compare body patterns and markings.
And thanks for that comparison of loaches and comic books.

My friend yesterday also suggested, again with diamonds. You can try a wedding proposal with 10 lose stones vs. a 1.5 carat stone, and the reactions and desirability is certainly different.

I got 5 of these jumbo clowns, they are 10-12". I did not buy them from rare fish, as it was awhile back. when I saw them I knew they were diamonds in the rough, it something you have to really see to appreciate, and if you grow them out you will definitely realize the value of these clowns. you can always say, "yeah I got some clown loaches, everyone got them and seen them, and know what they look like, but very few have seen their potential size, I still haven't. At the time of purchase I have no idea the market price on them, they were expensive, a little less than price here but not much. even without any way of appraising what people sell them for, because none at the time were for sale. I jumped at the opportunity and took all 5 in stock! Basically it gets down to time is worth money, instead of using diamonds as a metaphor as fugu suggest, i saw it more as to comics. if you are into comics you know that once a comic is in circulation, every year that goes by there is less of that comic in original pristine state around (rare). for examples, let say around 500,000 copies of X-Men #1 (yes Clowns are the popular!) on release date around 1962, after some 50 years later, some get lost, damaged or even destroyed, now you have 22 pristine copies, wouldn't that comic be worth a lot more than the 12 Cents it did new, like say $492,937.50 more? well mother nature and mankind too, has a way of making 500000 clown hatchlings go to 500 in just the first year, and every year after, it's declines in numbers due to disease, pollutions, predators, natural disaster, and careless aquarists. now 14 years later and there are merely 5 left of the original 500,000, and I got them! See? heck of a deal!! I basically bought 500,000 clowns loaches and 14 years!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store