FS 2500 Gallon tank in Las Vegas PU 25,000.00

Status
Not open for further replies.

LivingForTheFuture

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2009
Colorado
How is a used acrylic tank hold a lower resale value than glass?
I would personally pay more for acrylic over glass because acrylic hold temperature better then glass. Although I must say this is a nice show aquarium, if only I cam into large sum of cash and house lol

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
Thats what I've found out too. But any thoughts on the formula? I think its a pretty good base for pricing.
Hi bro. IMO. I think its a good formula, but another more realistic formula is if there is a nice tank especially 360+++ that's actually near your house that formula is a good starting price but you would have to meet in the middle since the formula is a buyer formula and not a seller one.
Of course 25% of retail on everything is a great starting price. That awesome energy efficient Hammerhead pump I paid 400 cash brand new I would want 150 cash not 100. Of course I would love to buy one for 100. I do respect Phixer he has given me great advice. I don't understand the part about labor to build a tank. Most people cant do that and the hourly for building a giant acrylic tank would be high. Nobody would even buff out the scratches for me on my 720 for reasonable and reenforcing it was another story I contacted a few companies. Also Acrylic is expensive not to mention if you want it thick like we all dream about. In reality all the tanks I see are below the thickness we all want.
Plus most glass tanks for sale nobody wants to touch since moving them and possible seal leakage. So I also would think Acrylic to be way more sought after and worth more.

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
The formula for depreciation would need to consider the service life and material condition of the tank. Best to emulate and incorporate pre-existing principles such as used in Kelly Blue book for autos. I really dont see anything wrong with your formula. For acrylic I believe 30% to be fair, however each tanks service life can be altered depending on factors such as how many moves it has endured (increasing propensity for leaks thru weakened bonds) or exposure to UV light (increasing tendency for 2 part polymerizable cements to yellow). Some may chirp about 30% their logic may be equally founded.

I look at factors such as the age of the tank and method of construction. Solvent cement or 2 part cement, how many moves and of course thickness of material. Is crazing evident?

FOR NEW TANKS

The reason I say most tanks are over priced is because after subtracting the cost of materials, the cost of labor is realized. And it's out of this world... totally ridiculous. This is where the scam is, labor cost. At this point cost of labor needs to be compared to industry flat rate. The cost of labor then needs to be factored into the resale equation. The process of building an acrylic tank is not that difficult and in no way justifies the price charged. As in economics though, if people stop paying it the prices will drop.

These costs are passed along for used tanks. Because the original buyer got ripped off they tend to do the same when re-selling the tank.
Let me know if you have any tanks for sale in San Diego bro!

hulk181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2012
Cerritos CA
I think most of what's been said here is good advice when it comes to pricing tanks. There's a big difference when it comes to what most people are asking vs. What people can sell their 240g + tanks for. When people are selling, especially on craigslist, they tend to just look at the big asking prices and not at what people are willing to pay. Then they get an offer less than their huge unreasonable price and they think everyone is lowballing. But the part about the big/fast depreciation is spot on.

There was a 500g acrylic tank I saw and the guy wanted $3,000 for it! That's tank only and it needed some heavy cleaning and buffing. There should be a basic rule like $2 per gallon and plus or minus an additional 35% depending on condition. The really huge tanks would have a higher $ per gallon. Then the stand would be $1 per gallon it holds with a +/- % depending on age and condition.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
25K..

I can get a brand new car with that.

the animal guy

Arapaima
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2009
Used tank 25K..

Compare the difference in materials and labor for car vs fish tank LOL

ecoli73

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2010
Sunnyvale, CA
For used tanks, with no obvious faults, one can expect 1-2 dollars per gallon under 125. 3-4 dollars per gallon for 300 gallon and over, pending condition. Of course, if you need to move it fast, price will drop accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jccaclimber

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2012
Lafayette, Indiana
I think the top end of a used glass tank 55 gallons or under should be $1/gallon. Mind you I've seen them go for more (and less), but with the number of big box stores that offer $1/gallon sales a couple times per year on a tank that size I'm not sure why I would pay that for a used one.

It seems like there may be some regional considerations as well. A big used tank seems to be cheap in California, but much more expensive in the Midwest.

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
Used tank 25K..

Compare the difference in materials and labor for car vs fish tank LOL
I could get a new car and a tank brand new almost the same size lol. probs still have some cash left over also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store