FX5 Alternatives???

Renegade87

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2012
Lowell, Massachusetts
Hard to argue against either the Eheim or the FX5 (I don't own either) except where $ is concerned. I was considering 2 FX5's myself. My question is, where do the Marineland C series canisters (C360 and C530 in particular) stack up against the Eheim and the FX5? Especially in relation to bypass!

Lets hear from you Marineland owners out there.

THEcreep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
North Jersey
I'm a big fan of the eheim pro g90 or g160...im not totally sure but i think it's the 2075 and 2076. Easy to use and reliable. The media storage is effecient, versus the classics, and they are sealed when placed together so you have a more direct flow going over the media. Good filter, just expensive to fix if you break it but german engineering is pretty good IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

F1 VET

THE serrasalmus rhom
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2011
INDY
Hard to argue against either the Eheim or the FX5 (I don't own either) except where $ is concerned. I was considering 2 FX5's myself. My question is, where do the Marineland C series canisters (C360 and C530 in particular) stack up against the Eheim and the FX5? Especially in relation to bypass!

Lets hear from you Marineland owners out there.
Imo marineland is average to nil!

You cant even compare a fx5 or 2262 to a marineland canister! Try aquatop! Although any canister is better then most hob, id say if your going to buy a canister get something that will last for life and a flow rate that will work on bigger tanks so u dont have to upgrade.

Rena xp seris are cheaper then fx5 and very effective as far as bio filtration goes! But imo mech/bio filtration capacity of fx5 is nuts but the 2262 is even better but not 150$ better. Its like compairing a bmw to a merc!

#1 S. Vettel

Mount_Prion

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2012
center of the universe
Another silly question that I don't think is worthy of its own thread:

Do FX5s or 2262s generally come with enough media to run when bought new?

00rollins

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 20, 2011
Strong Island ,NY
Giant bag of polyester floss pillow stuffing (same stuff as sold for filters in pet stores) $8 in walmart will last a crazy long time foe one fx, good in first 2 trays with bio in third or can be used in all 3

Sent from my GT-P7510 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

aaronb

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2011
Cawker City, KS
eheims came before the fx5 and how is there a lot of wasted space?
You need a balance of flow and media. All that media you need to fill it is likely a way to rip off their customers, since you have to buy it separately. It's like putting 50 lbs of ceramic media in a sump. 48 lbs is for bragging rights only. Like look at all this media I have.

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
I have both fx5 and eheim 2260/2262.
Apart from higher price, the eheim is superior filter.

Bit like Mercedes vs ford.

However They work well together and compliment eah other.
The fx is just a mechanical monster with much lower bio capacity.
The eheim is tons better at bio filtration , so can keep more fish. It's cheaper to run on power and so much easier to clean out and maintain.

aaronb

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2011
Cawker City, KS
eheims came before the fx5 and how is there a lot of wasted space?
You need a balance of flow and media. All that media you need to fill it is likely a way to rip off their customers, since you have to buy it separately. It's like putting 50 lbs of ceramic media in a sump. 48 lbs is for bragging rights only. Like look at all this media I have.

aaronb

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2011
Cawker City, KS
I have both fx5 and eheim 2260/2262.
Apart from higher price, the eheim is superior filter.

Bit like Mercedes vs ford.

However They work well together and compliment eah other.
The fx is just a mechanical monster with much lower bio capacity.
The eheim is tons better at bio filtration , so can keep more fish. It's cheaper to run on power and so much easier to clean out and maintain.

The eheim 2262 is 80 watts and the fx5 is 50 watts. They both seem very durable. I still think the eheim waste space, because not all the media is useful. I know people talk about how little media space there is in an fx5 compared to the 2262. I have to wonder if maybe fluval actually did more research than eheim and the amount of biomedia you have room for is all you need.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store