Gar bow hunting

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I hope no fisheries will hire you with that opinion, and you can get fired from that when a potienial employer reads some of your posts.

Alligator gar populations in Texas has been stable that a bow fishing won't put a dent on the populations. Alligator gar fillet is pretty good and the alligator gar seldom goes waste.

I love bow fishing because it helps to management rough fish populations, especially the carps, suckers, buffaloes and gars. Bow fishing has never put a dent on the gars/bowfin populations since they are not often targeted by the anglers.
I'd never want to work for a fishery that supports bow fishing for sport. Rough fish populations don't need managed by humans in natural waterways, they're plenty able to manage themselves. Sport fish aren't the only valuable species in the water.

Thekid

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2014
Land of corn
I'd never want to work for a fishery that supports bow fishing for sport. Rough fish populations don't need managed by humans in natural waterways, they're plenty able to manage themselves. Sport fish aren't the only valuable species in the water.
So carp are valuable?

Should I stop throwing them on the bank?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Then don't go school for fisheries or fish studies.....at all. Rough fish populations do need us to managing them to prevent massive fish die off. Otherwise the lakes won't be fishable for few years if the nature takes a course.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Then don't go school for fisheries or fish studies.....at all. Rough fish populations do need us to managing them to prevent massive fish die off. Otherwise the lakes won't be fishable for few years if the nature takes a course.
Why, because I actually care for the lives of fish and don't want to see some redneck standing over a grazing shoal of suckers and shoot one through the spine? And I'd like to see some physical proof of NATURAL lakes that have never been stocked by humans having a masive die of of a species that's been living in it long before humans discovered it.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
please don't stop throwing them out lol...I hate going to one of my local lakes in the summer now due to the carp spawn.
What lake? I know what you mean though, it's like that in the lagoon up in Erie sometimes and I'm tempted to snag the fish out but I'd rather catch them fairly.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
What lake? I know what you mean though, it's like that in the lagoon up in Erie sometimes and I'm tempted to snag the fish out but I'd rather catch them fairly.
pymatuning dude....I guarantee in the hundreds of thousands of fish, every single section of the lake.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
pymatuning dude....I guarantee in the hundreds of thousands of fish, every single section of the lake.
As anti invasive and you and others know I am I actually like carp fishing at pymatuning, though I'll admit the other fish populations would be higher with less of them, even though the catfish and sunfish are still fairly big from there. It's the fish commission's baby though, I doubt they'll let things get out of control with that lake if the other species started to decline.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
So you support bow fishing of carp but no other fish?

This is allowed to keep healthy populations of fish. Get the facts.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
As anti invasive and you and others know I am I actually like carp fishing at pymatuning, though I'll admit the other fish populations would be higher with less of them, even though the catfish and sunfish are still fairly big from there. It's the fish commission's baby though, I doubt they'll let things get out of control with that lake if the other species started to decline.
I LOVE carp fishing, not many other fish fight like they do in that lake, but when im on my kayak, and literally every 3-5 seconds I'm getting hit with a carpsplosion....its time to do something DCNR....people always say ohhhh theres only carp at the spillway....bs...hit that lake june-july and tell me its only the spillway that has THOUSANDS of carp....last year I was fashioning spears to attack them with I was so mad lol.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store