Gar feeding issues

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Don't know what you're mad about. It's correct that an adult gar would need a large tank. However, small gars (and any young fish) have increased survival instincts due to being prey to many more species (their own included) because of their size. Young gars hide out more than adults to avoid becoming snacks for any large fish. They will eventually relax as they grow since increased size inevitably leads to being at risk from fewer and fewer species until they're large enough to be a risk towards most of the species their instincts made them fear as juveniles.
As juveniles in captivity, a smaller tank means less threat of injury from their fight or flight instinct. Young gars will jump at shadows and that jump usually leads to broken jaws or backs from impacting the walls of the tank. A smaller tank would restrict the speed they can achieve during a dart for cover. Less speed in a smaller tank means less impact trauma.
As the gar matures and becomes settled in its environment (inside and outside the tank), it can then be moved to larger housing.
Obviously what you are saying is 100% correct. I think he a little confused because in his alligator gar thread he was told that his 80 was too small for a florida. Hes gone out and bought a bigger tank and now this one is too big. like oddball says mgm you need to start with a small tank and work up to the 150. Though depending on the dimensions I tend to agree you may struggle size wise in the long term.

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Ok this kind of pisses me off
First I have my fish in to small of a tank then when I spend my hard earned money on a 150 gallon I am told this is to big. This is beyond aggravating.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
My apologies for not explaining further ( I can not word it better then Oddball already has) that a smaller tank is indeed a "grow-out" tank and def not a long-term tank size. your 150 will be a wonderful home for this gar in the near future! the other option would be to get a divider so he has less access for the reasons mentioned in Oddballs summary.

You can also look at the gar stickies at the top of the page as the "step-up method" is more thoroughly explained there and the whys, but in a nutshell oddball says it all. The stickies also go at length in the best ways to feed young gar, and foods to offer (YOY is what your gar is called at it's current size/age)

in a nutshell we are trying to help you not confuse/harm your fish and are happy to further explaine any questions/info you may have. granted some of us will have different oppinions! as I'm sure you have your own =)

Egon

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 4, 2007
Tempe AZ

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
This is confusing, so your saying a smaller tank for a smaller fish? Then as the fish grows get a larger tank.....

Now I'm aggravated.
That is exactly it. If it is in to big of a tank risk back breaking. To small of a tank and you get flamed;) you have to get them in age/size appropriate tanks.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Look around the gar forum. There are numerous threads concerning gars injuring themselves due to ramming the tank walls. Sol, and several others, surmised that it would be safer to restrict young gars in smaller quarters to help in preventing gar broken-back and broken jaw events.

Around that time, I figured out that my young gars were safe in my 650gal because the tank was round and had some give (polyethylene tank with viewing window). The young gars weren't prone to hitting any wall head on. I witnessed them, during panic sprints, reach the wall of the tank and more or less follow the curve of the tank wall.

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
Oh okay
You guys think I should put him in the 80 gallon tank. I'm currently not using it but had plans for it. But if he will be happier in the 80 then I would definitely do that

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
Look around the gar forum. There are numerous threads concerning gars injuring themselves due to ramming the tank walls. Sol, and several others, surmised that it would be safer to restrict young gars in smaller quarters to help in preventing gar broken-back and broken jaw events.

Around that time, I figured out that my young gars were safe in my 650gal because the tank was round and had some give (polyethylene tank with viewing window). The young gars weren't prone to hitting any wall head on. I witnessed them, during panic sprints, reach the wall of the tank and more or less follow the curve of the tank wall.
Now that I have the big guys and my cats in a round intex pool... I have noticed a huge difference in noses being red ect from hitting the tank walls particularly in my TSN and Cuban gar ( even at 16"+ in the 120 4x2 footprint he was able to smash his face good and scared me a few times he'd break glass. And this is only after less then a month...

But I have personally used the "step-up method" as Sol advised me back a few years ago when I first got into gar and have only lost 1 gar ( and he jumped out of the tank threw a tiny hole I didn't think he would be able too..) in those years since. and raised 4 from less then 6" and one Cuban from only a few inches longer all over 16"+ now I'de hazard. Would have been more if I had the space to raise more :D

Truth be told I use the method for all my large fish and have had great success with it despite the flaming some people do...

mgmt101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando
Approximately 9-10 inches long
About 2-3 inches wide

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store