Gar feeding quiz!!

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Not a pike characin like a Hujeta gar. Post a pic.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
well, he got a Florida gar.
And to add on the question number 3 since everyone seem to got the other 2 question so nothing to add. when the gar grow older it will be more lazy and will tend to eat just anything easy to get and/or don't require a lot of energy to catch it, so with Florida gar they might just take pellet with out any kind of pellet training after 3-4 years.

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
well, he got a Florida gar.
And to add on the question number 3 since everyone seem to got the other 2 question so nothing to add. when the gar grow older it will be more lazy and will tend to eat just anything easy to get and/or don't require a lot of energy to catch it, so with Florida gar they might just take pellet with out any kind of pellet training after 3-4 years.
Wow I never herd of that that's awesome but 4 years old is an old gar? I thought they live to be 25

Sent from my SGH-T989 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Wow I never herd of that that's awesome but 4 years old is an old gar? I thought they live to be 25

yes they can live pretty long but after 4 year, maybe upon reaching maturity they become lazy and more docile.

thatdudeoverthere21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
I recommend getting the gar off goldfish immediately. They gave my gar hole in head disease and its a pain to reverse and heal it (BTW: is almost completely healed up for my gars). Switch the red rosy minnows if you want to feed live or go to your local bait shop. If you can try and find a clean bait shop. My bait shop sells crappie minnows, muskey minnows and other types of minnows local to my area.
Starving is a good way to get them onto a new kind of food. Mine love frozen silversides, but at 11" it may be to small still to eat them. You could try cutting up shrimp and tilapia for him. Gars go hungry very very fast. Or atleast mine do. You can go no more than a week and im sure he will take just about anything. I didnt feed my gar for about 4 days and he was eating the small bloodworms i give my stingray.
In my opinion, a gar at 11" is harder to feed than when they get 15". Smaller mouth so its harder to get food for. As for pellets, mine didnt start eating pellets until they were at 16". One day i was just feeding my bass and one gar took the pellet and liked it. The other gar saw it and followed along. I evevn had them on flakes for about 3 weeks if you can believe that.
I agree with HungDang. As gar get older they become more chill and laid back, just kinda float there or lay at the bottom. They will snap at almost anything, including your fingers and hand so watch out. Mine are barely a year old and are just super chill fish.
Good luck with the gar and i hope you enjoy him as much as i enjoy my gar.

bryan.u159

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2013
United States
I recommend getting the gar off goldfish immediately. They gave my gar hole in head disease and its a pain to reverse and heal it (BTW: is almost completely healed up for my gars). Switch the red rosy minnows if you want to feed live or go to your local bait shop. If you can try and find a clean bait shop. My bait shop sells crappie minnows, muskey minnows and other types of minnows local to my area.
Starving is a good way to get them onto a new kind of food. Mine love frozen silversides, but at 11" it may be to small still to eat them. You could try cutting up shrimp and tilapia for him. Gars go hungry very very fast. Or atleast mine do. You can go no more than a week and im sure he will take just about anything. I didnt feed my gar for about 4 days and he was eating the small bloodworms i give my stingray.
In my opinion, a gar at 11" is harder to feed than when they get 15". Smaller mouth so its harder to get food for. As for pellets, mine didnt start eating pellets until they were at 16". One day i was just feeding my bass and one gar took the pellet and liked it. The other gar saw it and followed along. I evevn had them on flakes for about 3 weeks if you can believe that.
I agree with HungDang. As gar get older they become more chill and laid back, just kinda float there or lay at the bottom. They will snap at almost anything, including your fingers and hand so watch out. Mine are barely a year old and are just super chill fish.
Good luck with the gar and i hope you enjoy him as much as i enjoy my gar.
Thank you very much you guys been a great help I will try to get him off live food as soon as possible

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Wait what type if gar is it? Someone mentioned Florida but you didn't say what yet.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpcampbell123

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
a few of mine would eat f/d krill also too found out one of mine loved his nightcrawlers gars are just like people and some have preferences for certain foods. also too a few of mine would eat pellets

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store