Gar is a gonner soon

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Deathcurl, thats amazing. Bacon, I put 20 small feeders and 10 large feeders in several times and he wont even eat them. Vinson, mine looks healthy also. This is the strangest thing but even stranger is that I am not the only one with tis problem. Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe there still is hope. I will keep on trying to feed him. Also, I know Gars need oxygen and breath at the top of the tank, but mine has not left the bottom of the tank as far as I can tell. My wife, 2 sons and me keep a constant watch on him and if he does go to the top it must be at night.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
TankBuster;685492; said:
Deathcurl, thats amazing. Bacon, I put 20 small feeders and 10 large feeders in several times and he wont even eat them. Vinson, mine looks healthy also. This is the strangest thing but even stranger is that I am not the only one with tis problem. Thanks for all the feedback. Maybe there still is hope. I will keep on trying to feed him. Also, I know Gars need oxygen and breath at the top of the tank, but mine has not left the bottom of the tank as far as I can tell. My wife, 2 sons and me keep a constant watch on him and if he does go to the top it must be at night.
does he swim at all? if he does is it normal? maybe their was an injury? i think every gar owner has gone through something similar.

Deathcurl

BOO!!!
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2005
NYC
Keep us posted...Tropicals are a great fish. I wish you the best :).

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Demjor, he swims like he is being electrocuted and favors his left side, right side fins are tucked underneath. Thanks for the Positive, Deathcurl.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
TankBuster;687227; said:
Demjor, he swims like he is being electrocuted and favors his left side, right side fins are tucked underneath. Thanks for the Positive, Deathcurl.
it's been a while since i have commented in this thread; sorry to hear about this fish and his continued poor condition. it sounds like nerve damage related to a broken/damaged back IMO. if this is the case and his movements are as you describe, there is unfortunately little you can do for the fish.

if you can post any pics that would help (sorry, couldnt remember if you said you could or could not) to determine the extent of the injury.

you can hold out and see if the fish improves, but this seems unlikely. the humane thing to do at this point would be to euthanize the fish (if conditions are as bad as described) rather than just have it starve to death or exacerbate its condition with forced movements. this is understandably difficult too, as t-gars are not cheap fish by any means.

wish you the best of luck, and sorry to hear about all of this--
--solomon

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Soloman, thanks for the kind words. i did think about euthanizeing him by bagging him and going to the freezer and that is honestly heartbreaking but I knew it had to be done. But, then I got some positive feedback on here where people had the same issue thenm the fish actually made it through. I think I am going to wait until this weekend to make that choice. I notice his back is sunk in a little like his body is too heavy for him. I am trying every day to get him to eat and he just gets scared of the food and tries to get away. I will try and post pics tomorrow and get some feedback from you guys. I have just never seen anything like this before and I have kept fish a very very long time. These Gars are amazing. It does sound logical that there may be some nerve damage but he has no noticable damage to the outside.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
TankBuster;687227; said:
sorry. i do remember you saying that now. i thought this was a dif. thread at first. i agree w/ a back or spine injury. i also apoke w/ someone else on this forum (sorry i cant remember their name) but they said that gars can have strokes. im not sure of this but its a possibility.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
demjor19;687695; said:
sorry. i do remember you saying that now. i thought this was a dif. thread at first. i agree w/ a back or spine injury. i also apoke w/ someone else on this forum (sorry i cant remember their name) but they said that gars can have strokes. im not sure of this but its a possibility.
Ya, my lfs said that it could be a stroke also. Very strange. Still no change in eating.

demjor19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2006
PA/OH
i hate these kind of problems. you try a million things and nothing works and if it is a spine injury or a stroke...wtf do ya do?

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Well, tomorrow may be the day I decide to put him to sleep. I dont want him to suffer but I dont want to end it for him either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store