GarLab I [The Tank] - Cuban Gar study

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
great Solomon! loving gar-den II, always awesome to see pics of that tank. yr cubans look a lot fatter than mine, or is it just becaues it's flat against the board?

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
Love watching this progress.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
thanks for the comments all - i just got back from vacation and the fish have definitely been growing and chowing down! one of my roommates had to pick up 100+ feeders on two different occasions while i was gone since they are blowing through them fast (just added another 100+ today).

will hopefully get some new pics tomorrow or the day after. interesting variations in pattern as a few individuals are much darker, and others are more typical.

xander;4956779; said:
great Solomon! loving gar-den II, always awesome to see pics of that tank. yr cubans look a lot fatter than mine, or is it just because it's flat against the board?
thanks, hopefully i will get some new shots of GDII in the near future...i need to wipe the interior glass though!

the Cubans actually vary quite a bit in how fat they are (as i am sure you have noticed with your fish) - they are quite fat right after feeding and then slim down pretty soon thereafter because they process the food so quickly. i didn't feed them before the measurements so as not to stress them out. i would guess that my fish are around the same L-W ratio as yours, however, i'm probably looking at a bit more variability too.

temps have been standardized to 28C (+/- 1C) and maintaining 50% water change 1x per week. may not be measuring these guys weekly as in the SPG experiment, but we'll see.--
--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Pejelajarto;4971407; said:
Find Intern ;)
no kidding!!! if this were at SNRE then i definitely would...unfortunately that lab is currently the wild west in terms of controlling variables these days! rest assured we will be taking advantage of what we can when fish need to be monitored out there after the summer.

will email you more about this in the near future, but looks like we will have a good amount of space at Saline-MDNRE [aka GarLab II] (just moved the TPGs back to a big round tank today).--
--solomon

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
E_americanus;4969540; said:
thanks for the comments all - i just got back from vacation and the fish have definitely been growing and chowing down! one of my roommates had to pick up 100+ feeders on two different occasions while i was gone since they are blowing through them fast (just added another 100+ today).

will hopefully get some new pics tomorrow or the day after. interesting variations in pattern as a few individuals are much darker, and others are more typical.

thanks, hopefully i will get some new shots of GDII in the near future...i need to wipe the interior glass though!

the Cubans actually vary quite a bit in how fat they are (as i am sure you have noticed with your fish) - they are quite fat right after feeding and then slim down pretty soon thereafter because they process the food so quickly. i didn't feed them before the measurements so as not to stress them out. i would guess that my fish are around the same L-W ratio as yours, however, i'm probably looking at a bit more variability too.

temps have been standardized to 28C (+/- 1C) and maintaining 50% water change 1x per week. may not be measuring these guys weekly as in the SPG experiment, but we'll see.--
--solomon
It's good to hear that the little Cuban gars are doing well!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
just wanted to put up a quick updated shot of the setup and update on a couple things (some of which may be relevant to others keeping the YOY CBG). i have some new videos to add too...testing out my new field camera that actually shoots in HD (my old one fried on a trip, my g/f very generously replaced it for me :))

the CBG update:
- i had to replace all the sponge filters with powerfilters (150gph). given the high feeding rates and large amounts of waste, the sponge filters just were not cutting it.
- water changes definitely helped, but i was bumping up to 2x 50% each week, which was getting a little crazy for all 4 tanks plus the usual siphoning/netting of waste. the new filters should cut down on this quite a bit - still plan on water changes at least 50% 1x per week.

- this is something to keep in mind as they are producing more waste and eating more than LEP spp in the same setups, this coupled with the fact that CBG tend to be a bit more sensitive to water quality, i would suggest closely monitoring WQ and/or bumping up water changes and filtration as the fish reach 6-8"+

--solomon

PS--

tanks in view in the photo, starting clockwise with the lungfish tank w/ CBG setup below:

100g lungfish tank (above)
4 x 20g L CBG tanks (below)
270g "Gar-Den II"
120g MI native fishes tank (plus 1 FLG)
120g original "Gar-den"

videos coming soon!

GARLAB 1 3222011 1a.jpg

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
man that room looks incredible sol!! if im ever in your area you HAVE to let me take a look @ it!!

haha funny to see you sacrificed the lounge area to make way for more tanks:p

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
xander;4986689; said:
man that room looks incredible sol!! if im ever in your area you HAVE to let me take a look @ it!!

haha funny to see you sacrificed the lounge area to make way for more tanks:p
thanks xander, you're welcome any time when you're up our way in the US!

yeah, it's pretty ridiculous at this point - one of my roommates is a fish ecology master's student and bought the other 120g (mainly sunfishes, 1 FLG that i gave him, and a stonecat madtom at this point). when a previous roommate moved out we moved the couch from the basement to the livingroom...so naturally we filled it in with tanks :)

what you don't see on the other side of the new 120g is a 50g breeder i have set up for feeders...which will likely be soon replaced with a 130g pond setup :nilly:

ok here are some videos (sorry for all the background noise, and since the new camera doubles as an underwater camera it makes weird sounds while zooming...next vids will have to have soundtracks!) :

you can watch in HD depending on your connxn!

the original Gar-Den:
[YT]m6AoG9r3xKo[/YT]

and Gar-Den II:
[YT]-j8sDh2zbyg[/YT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store