GarLab I [The Tank] - Cuban Gar study

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Wiggles92;4986808; said:
I'm glad to see that all of your gars and other fish are doing well, Solomon! How are all of the Cuban gars (new and old) doing?
thanks ryan - the old Cubans can be seen in the video above, haven't had a chance to shoot photos of them in a long time, but hoping to do so in the next couple weeks as i get (non-existent) time :)

i am uploading a video of the CBG study tanks right now, so that should be posted shortly. it ends with a full tank-room shot so you can see everyone for a little bit in the video (coming soon) --
--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
here's the video update of the CBG study. i had to replace all the sponge filters with power filters in order to keep up with the massive amounts of waste the fish produce (even at small sizes and 3/tank). they are growing fast and eating a ton.

the obviously don't like the side with the high-flow and so they can only really be seen at the far side of the tanks. end of the video has a pan around the fish room shot so you can see all the other tanks and glimpses of the other fishes and "Gar-Dens"--
--solomon

[YT]V91_wJCZGtg[/YT]

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
E_americanus;4987488; said:
thanks ryan - the old Cubans can be seen in the video above, haven't had a chance to shoot photos of them in a long time, but hoping to do so in the next couple weeks as i get (non-existent) time :)

i am uploading a video of the CBG study tanks right now, so that should be posted shortly. it ends with a full tank-room shot so you can see everyone for a little bit in the video (coming soon) --
--solomon
Cool stuff. I look forward to the updates; hopefully I'll be able to make it out to Anne Arbor sometime in the near future to be able to see them in person.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
awesome & long awaited updates man!! looknig great!

btw, how big are your cubans currently?

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Nice stuff Sol, I've always loved how the Atractosteus have such wide snouts as compared to the Lepisosteus.

Never you knew had an AUL!

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
sweetness awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
thanks for the comments all :)

xander;4988381; said:
awesome & long awaited updates man!! looknig great!

btw, how big are your cubans currently?
thanks! hopefully the videos will hold you over until i actually get the chance to shoot some pics! although i do like the video stuff, so we'll see if i shoot more in the mean time (would like to get the whole measuring process, etc of the gars on vid).

just measured the CBG study fish tonight - largest one is just over 21 cm, or ~8.5", weighs 36.6g. others are similar size or smaller (again, there are 12 fish, so there is some variability). they are growing well and putting on a good amount of weight. i can finally put together some regressions now that we have 3 points of data per replicate.

channarox;4988414; said:
Nice stuff Sol, I've always loved how the Atractosteus have such wide snouts as compared to the Lepisosteus.

Never you knew had an AUL!
thanks! yeah, both genera have unique features...not sure which i like best personally as they tend to even out IMO, haha.
and yes, i have actually had an AUL since 2004...way back when i had to work out the deal with the actual owner of the AUL farm (gordon hides - he's since sold the farm though). this particular specimen has been with me for about 5 years. at one point i had all 6 extant species of lungfishes, but now just the 3 genera are represented.

peewee;4988796; said:
sweetness awesomeness!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MonsterMinis;4989093; said:
Very nice Gars, Everyone looks so fat 'n sassy!
thanks! they were a bit thicker last night and over the course of the day today (the adult fishes) as they were fed last night. the CBG were fasted today so i could measure them without stressing their systems out too much.--
--solomon

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
just a quick photo for now - this is food for ~7 days...1000+ feeders. basically have a 50g breeder set up just to house feeders at this point. these fish eat like absolute pigs. next measurement will probably be over the weekend/early next week.

will try to get some video soon too.

will also try to get organized on how many will be available right after this study is done. if you haven't PM'd/emailed me already expressing interest, please do so soon. thanks!--
--solomon

CBG Food1.jpg

channarox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2007
south east asia
Wish I could get my hands on one... If I were closer!

My 3 floridas go through about 100 feeders every few days.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store