GarLab I [The Tank] - Cuban Gar study

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
E_americanus;5030644; said:
that's good! how often are you taking (length) measurements and are you taking them out of the tanks to do so? we can all measure through the glass, but it's seldom very accurate other than a rough estimate.

i was going to comment on the water changes...that definitely helps things along. i'm trying to stay somewhat consistent with our previous work, so water changes are 1x a week unless absolutely needed (powerfilters are covering that now). we're eventually looking at results that will use the least amount of water turnover as possible too...so that does sacrifice some growth for less water use (but that gets into all kinds of other stuff).

we have a large recirc system at one of our labs (where the SPGs are currently), but the temp fluctuates like crazy and there have been a lot of crazy issues there lately...so it seemed like the LAST place to keep a group of CBGs, haha--
--solomon
I've been taking measurements roughly every three days. I find mine rest at the top of the water a lot, so I can usually hold a measuring device up to them and get accurate measurements from above. I know what you mean about the glass throwing off measurements, tried doing that and some were off by almost an inch.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
pharmaecopia;5030693; said:
I've been taking measurements roughly every three days. I find mine rest at the top of the water a lot, so I can usually hold a measuring device up to them and get accurate measurements from above. I know what you mean about the glass throwing off measurements, tried doing that and some were off by almost an inch.
yeah, that is better than against the glass, but still has its biases when it comes to comparisons. all that being said, when we were dealing with small numbers of fish (in this case very early stage juveniles) we didn't risk taking them out for measurements even though we had over 200 (SPGs).

you'll also find the growth allometry effect taking place soon, particularly with this species...they will start adding a lot more weight than length soon. gators will usually continue growing at high rates in both metrics, and Lepisosteus genus gars tend to continue to add length at a decent proportion to weight (overall weight still increases faster than length in most cases).

i've really wanted to get photos of the gars on the measuring board at each measure, but just don't have the personnel to do so on my schedule. will definitely have the final photo comparisons though, as the initial pics in this thread show their size going into the experimental tanks.

in feeding them pellets (have you fed any?) as opposed to chopped fish, do you find that they track down the food well? we'll be doing some non-live feed work in the very near future as well--
--solomon

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
E_americanus;5030725; said:
yeah, that is better than against the glass, but still has its biases when it comes to comparisons. all that being said, when we were dealing with small numbers of fish (in this case very early stage juveniles) we didn't risk taking them out for measurements even though we had over 200 (SPGs).

you'll also find the growth allometry effect taking place soon, particularly with this species...they will start adding a lot more weight than length soon. gators will usually continue growing at high rates in both metrics, and Lepisosteus genus gars tend to continue to add length at a decent proportion to weight (overall weight still increases faster than length in most cases).

i've really wanted to get photos of the gars on the measuring board at each measure, but just don't have the personnel to do so on my schedule. will definitely have the final photo comparisons though, as the initial pics in this thread show their size going into the experimental tanks.

in feeding them pellets (have you fed any?) as opposed to chopped fish, do you find that they track down the food well? we'll be doing some non-live feed work in the very near future as well--
--solomon
I've already noticed them thickening up alot, three of them are very girthy with the smallest one still trailing behind the others. I've tried feeding them pellets but no takers so far. Though 2 gars have snapped at flake food for some reason, also had some go after bloodworms and mysis. I have been supplementing their feeders with tilapia strips and market shrimp strips. I have to hold it beside their mouth as they sniff it deciding whether to eat or not, they will not take it from midwater or the bottom. I've also noticed they are very fussy turning down some strips of fish yet eating others, as well trying to go after specific feeders. I've even seen one of the gars catch a feeder reposition it start to swallow it then decide it didn't want it and spit it out.

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Hi All,

just a quick note -
we will be ending this current study very soon. if you have not already PM'd or emailed (email is preferable - E_americanus@hotmail.com) me with interest in the Cuban gars we will put up for sale, please do so as soon as possible so i have a contact list. i will try to post details in a thread in the gar forum (so gar people can get first shots), but i also don't want to get into any complications with buy/sell regulations.

we will be putting up a very limited number at this time, likely no more than 5-6 fish. we may put up more in the future but this is not for certain as we are planning on keeping several for upcoming work.

as with the SPGs, all funds generated will go right back into further gar research projects, in this case we are hoping to recoup some of the costs of the current study.

thanks for all your support and interest, and as always we'll keep everyone updated on the studies as they progress/develop!--
--solomon

PS-- hopefully more video and pics coming this week :)

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Had these pics in a different thread (CBG feeding frenzy), but I wanted to link to them here for reference when we get pics of the fish at the end. These shots were from several days before they went into the study tanks:

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Wiggles92;5040814; said:
Those gars have grown pretty darn fast!

Is the current project proceeding as well as you hoped?
keep in mind those pics are from before the study. i'm trying to figure out how best to get photographs for comparison as they are all in 20gL's right now, as opposed to when they were all in the 50gB. either way, they are much larger.

as for how the project has gone, i am pleased with the results we have, i wasn't necessarily expecting anything specific, just wanting to track things for data and growth modeling purposes (at least generally speaking). i am trying to work out a second portion of this project, should more details on that over the course of the month as i get things set up.--
--solomon

Lepisosteus platyrhincus

Polypterus
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2008
In the caiman den
Im strongly considering hitting ya up for one.....

but i think my wife would kill me :D

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Lepisosteus platyrhincus;5041758; said:
Im strongly considering hitting ya up for one.....

but i think my wife would kill me :D
Do it!

Remind her that this is only the third (?) time that they've been imported to the U.S. in recent times and that such an opportunity may not arise for quite some time. :naughty:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store