Gars now legal in California?

E_americanus

Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
tourdeforce1;2457739; said:
I don't get how gar could be totally illegal when all my lfs carry them. If I ask them for snakeheads, pirahnas or asian arowanas they don't have them and I'm a regular at most of them.
like jordan said, this is definitely not the case in terms of determination of legality. these LFS are bypassing the laws whether they know it or not (and most of them should know, they just tend to ignore them).

Gator;2459796; said:
The reason Gar are illegal is because they will do very well there.
exactly. they may not do as well as we may think, but there is still a pretty high risk involved, and the endemic species of the western US are already in bad enough shape dealing with all the brown trout and bass being stocked everywhere--
--solomon

cudamaster13

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2008
southern california
E_americanus;2459905; said:
like jordan said, this is definitely not the case in terms of determination of legality. these LFS are bypassing the laws whether they know it or not (and most of them should know, they just tend to ignore them).

exactly. they may not do as well as we may think, but there is still a pretty high risk involved, and the endemic species of the western US are already in bad enough shape dealing with all the brown trout and bass being stocked everywhere--
--solomon
southern californias drout and warmer temps have already destroyed many natives here

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
"One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds. Much of the damage inflicted on land is quite invisible to laymen. An ecologist must either harden his shell and make believe that the consequences of science are none of his business, or he must be the doctor who sees the marks of death in a community that believes itself well and does not want to be told otherwise."
Aldo leopold

akskirmish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2006
anchorage
Polypterus;2464732; said:
"One of the penalties of an ecological education is that one lives alone in a world of wounds. Much of the damage inflicted on land is quite invisible to laymen. An ecologist must either harden his shell and make believe that the consequences of science are none of his business, or he must be the doctor who sees the marks of death in a community that believes itself well and does not want to be told otherwise."
Aldo leopold
QFT-------

lordofthejewsjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
thats a good question
ok i may sound stupid but why not make them legal but the owner has to sign a waiver or something and he has to check it in every month. this a good idea?

lordofthejewsjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
thats a good question
what i meant is the person that buys the gar must sign the waiver and check in with the owner every month and if it dies the person must call the owner and verify, but if they release it then the owner can be jailed for a while and pay a fine of at least $2000. anyone agree with me? or does this have flaws?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
lordofthejewsjr;2471492; said:
what i meant is the person that buys the gar must sign the waiver and check in with the owner every month and if it dies the person must call the owner and verify, but if they release it then the owner can be jailed for a while and pay a fine of at least $2000. anyone agree with me? or does this have flaws?
Flaws lots of them....

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
Yeah, I can see gars getting established in cali.
If you want to get mad about fish being banned for no good reason, get on the freshwater ray and asian aro boat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store