Gars now legal in California?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
lordofthejewsjr;2471595; said:
which are?
Whom would oversee it? and who would pay for it? for one.. Cali fish and Game is already strapped for cash why in hell would they want to add more paperwork and monthly phone calls to hobbyists so they can keep toys they don't need. Fact is it is easier and more efficient just to ban them or you can try to get a permit through the system already in place. I'm sorry but in the big picture, you keeping a gar is about the last thing Cali fish and game cares to worry about.

lordofthejewsjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
thats a good question
what do you mean by permit? is that so i can have them? (sorry if im making you angry.)

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
lordofthejewsjr;2473383; said:
what do you mean by permit? is that so i can have them? (sorry if im making you angry.)
You can get permits to work with them through Fish and game. These are not easy for a general hobbyist to get (they are designed for scientific or education not just keeping) but then really few hobbyists try. Maybe if more hobbyists would show a willingness to work within the system currently there they may lax the requirements a bit to include this to some extent.

lordofthejewsjr

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
thats a good question
wow you know your stuff

John Rambo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Zagama Beach
Gator;2459796; said:
The reason Gar are illegal is because they will do very well there.
My brother works for Fish and Game in Cali. gars are caught around once every month in some lakes in northern Cali. His co-workers take them home and keep them in their tanks.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store