Gentle Giants

ammerman19

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
a chocolate cichlid would eat every fish it could. Their profiles generally say peaceful but that really isn't the case, they are kinda like Oscars temperment wise but much better looking in my opinion.

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
Thanks for all the suggestions and input people, you got me lots of leads to follow up on. So far I have been collective with the pacu, ID shark and ghost knife suggestions. I don’t mind fish as small as tetras going missing, but fish of a few inches being safe was my intention.

Crustman

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2006
Mobile, Alabama
What about Goldfish or carp? For a marine tank, you could try a Mola mola :)
I have Phenochilus placidochromis in my 120 and 75 gallon tanks and they are nonaggressive cichlids with great color.

Joshy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2006
Essex, England
www.bbc.co.uk
I would not have a clue about marine, but i have kept many fancy goldfish varieties in the past. They are indeed gentle giants. But i wanted something a bit more 'natural' if you get my drift?

Bgonz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Monroe twp NJ
danny;642149; said:
giraffe cat ive got two 12" and 22" they will not totch live or froze food and if you dont feed to much they are quite active

Giraffe cats and P. Niger. I have had a Niger for about 5 years and he's near 12". Doesnt bother or hurt anything. I have a 6" Giraffe also thats very active and only eats flakes off the bottom :screwy:

bob

dodgefreak8

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2005
colorado
pacus are another fish better left in the wild. They get massive and are known for being very skittish and even breaking tanks.

racialfish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 15, 2006
omaha nebraska
Paddlefish are a threatened species in the U.S. and definately shouldn't be kept in home aquaria b/c of size and the fact that once they get bigger they only eat zooplankton.

andregurov

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2006
future wetlands, Louisiana
racialfish;642972; said:
Paddlefish are a threatened species in the U.S. and definately shouldn't be kept in home aquaria b/c of size and the fact that once they get bigger they only eat zooplankton.
I'll second this opionion. They are extremely difficult to keep in home aquaria - they need to feed continuously on small food, do not do well at higher temps, and are a threatened species. Sometimes people down here catch them and bring them in, and we HAVE NO BUSINESS trying to raise them.

How about Herichthys bocourti (golden mojarra) and H. pearsei? Both of these are large vegetarian Central American cichlids that will not eat feeders. They do have problems with conspecifics, however. I'd second the scat recommendation as well. If you can adequately house them, they make great wet pets!

J

RadleyMiller

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Delaware
www.myspace.com
~A betta named Mowgli~;643071; said:
Some clown loaches, plecos, goldfish, koi...

For brackish, scats, archerfish...

Marine: Angels, butterflyfish, tangs...
Clown loaches are predators when adults, adult Koi need atleast 300 gallons per fish and prefer cool water, archerfish are predatory, and scats need marine as adults.

Some angels can be agro, and I have heard tangs are pretty agressive. They use the spine at the base of their tail to cut other fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store