getting rid of snails

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Ooohh puffer would be cool the tank is pretty much maxed out with two little bichirs (grow out) and a raph call and L200 (hate this thing)

Its my sons tank so as long as hes ok with rehoming some fish i'll let him choose between the puffer or loaches.

How would a pea puffer do with the polys ?
Curious why you hate your L200 I love mine.

I agree with the loach idea also. I always had clowns before but I am thinking of getting to yoyo loaches.

HumanBean

Dovii
MFK Member
Nov 4, 2014
Toronto Ontario, Canada
My favorite snail control fish are the cichlids of the genus Paretroplus from Madagascar. I had a tank that would be so think with Malaysian snails that when the lights would first go on, you couldn't see the fish. I put a couple Paretroplus in, and within 24hours, you couldn't find a snail. These cichlids main food source in Madagascar are snails, and they are equip with special teeth that extract snail flesh from any too big to crush.

above Paretroplus maculatus, below P menerambo.

Beyond snail control, they are some my favorite cichlids, and have personality to rival any Central American. P. menerambo get quite large, over 14", maculatus a tad smaller, and are slow growers.
Snails are like rabbits. Once introduced in your property good luck evicting. This is the certified way of getting rid of snails. Escargot anyone ? ;)

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Curious why you hate your L200 I love mine.

I agree with the loach idea also. I always had clowns before but I am thinking of getting to yoyo loaches.
Pretty fish too much of a mess

Rivers2k

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2011
NY
Oh got it. Mine isn't too bad but I think I have a female she is staying pretty small (about 4") so not much of a mess.

zukiGS500

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2009
Mke
If you have a spare tank or even a bucket you can put the plants in for a few weeks, there are a lot of medications that say not to use them in a tank with snails.

When I was upgrading one of my tanks, I wanted to get ride of my snail problem, so I put all my plants into a couple of 29 gallon tanks for a few weeks and overdosed the tank with something. Don't remember what it was exactly, some pond lifeguard ich treatment or something like that, just remember it came in a clear bottle, medication was pink.

Leave them for as long as you can to make sure any eggs have a chance to hatch and die off.

Reactions: jaws7777

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Nice suggestion simple and ruthless!

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
That pond treatment was likely potassium permanganate. It has a pink/purple color and is used in some meds for ick and other stuff. I've seen a video where plants were soaked in a solution of pp to get rid of algae on the leaves. I don't know the ratio though ... wasn't much pp. Prime/Safe will neutralize pp like it does with chlorox btw.

I've seen homemade snail-traps that captured an incredible number of snails in a few hours. There's a cool time-lapse video of snails cramming into one on youtube.

Stone Like Fish

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2005
Queensland, Australia
I had those trumpet snails in my sump, annoying as hell because they'd block the drip tray! Dunno what happened, but one day there were none. And hasn't been any in months. Never seen one in the main tank either (dead or alive, and i just removed all the sand).

tarheel96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2015
North Carolina
Actually, that time-lapse video I was thinking of was a planaria trap, not snail trap. Still, the snail traps seem easy to make and apparently capture a lot of snails.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store