Giant Danios - Most Underrated Fish Ever

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
Stump;2660382; said:
I have to say I will never look at Giant Danios the same way ever again. I have seen them in stores for the past howevermanyyears, I have seen 1 or 2 in a few tanks at other people's houses, and so on...

Well, I was at the pet store yesterday to browse their fish selection, looking for some kind of dither or just some rare fish, when I came across the danio/tinfoil barb tank. It was nothing special, just danios and small tinfoil barbs. I walked around the store looking at all their other fish for awhile, and then decided to go back to danio tank. I put my finger on the tank's glass, and started moving it up and down and around. To my amazement, all of the danios clumped together in a big mass, and followed my finger wherever it went. I though this was just AWESOME. :headbang2:D

I decided to pick up 5 of the Giant Danios. :grinno:

I brought them back to the house, acclimated them, and in they went. Right away they started schooling. In a few minutes they were grazing the surface of the tank back and forth like a pack of wolves. I thought this was pretty neat. After about 10 minutes I dropped in some freeze-dried bloodworms --- HOLY (insert word here)!!! :WHOA:

They made exodons look bad. These fish were boiling. I couldn't believe how quick, percise, and rapid these fish were moving. I watched in amazement, and wondered why I had never new Giant Danios were such ferocious eaters. They really add some excitement to the tank, while still keeping it pretty tranquil when they are not eating. They're pronounced underbite makes them all the more cool to watch.

So, I just thought I'd post a thread telling everyone how cool this fish can actually be. I never would have guessed I would like them this much, they were just dithers for my severum/bgk tank. Now they are the fish that make the tank complete.

I can't believe I just typed all of this about Danios. :screwy:
I love Giant danio's I use them during every tank cycle and atleast half of my tanks have had 5 giant danio's in them. My current setup has 5 full grown giant danios in it. They are easy to breed and very cool to feed they will absolutely gorge themselves so beware that the other fish are getting their food. :)

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
FSM;2660868; said:
They like to kill themselves though.
What are you talking about? I have never lost one and I have owned over 100 different giant danios. Just keep a secure lid... As for never losing one I had a trio of three I used to cycle a 55 live for 6 years together. I gave them to a friend and as far as I know they are still very happy :)

tcarswell

Polypterus
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2008
Tibet
digger;2660918; said:
I have a school of 8 in a community tank with 6 clown loaches and it really is a good looking tank.
Ill bet thats a stunning tank what size? Any pics?

MurderedOut

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2008
Slidell, LA
so how big do these things get? i love my small danios in my community tank, they are so hardy, and they school so well.

might make a good addition to my 75 if i can get the algae problem taken care of.

Pieface

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
Australia
I have 14 in my 180. Great activity fish and they really help keep my CA cichlids out and about. They just smash any food in the tank too so I'm finding that helps get the cichlids eating and not being fussy.

Stump

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2008
Bichir Alley
I will pick up more in another couple of weeks. A school of 10 would look great. :D

BloodredOscar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2008
Canada
rnocera;2660599; said:
They are really cool fish. I really like them, and I'm about to put some in with my axolotl.

WTF Is an Axolotl? Is it a fish or a frog thing? Pic's please?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store